Skip to main content
Topic: Where can I start learning to compile under Artix? (Read 772 times) previous topic - next topic

Where can I start learning to compile under Artix?

Hi there !

I still consider myself a newbie, one that likes to run multiboots and has been using Artix for many years as the distro responsible  for Grub in my machines .

I am now trying to test Artix as my daily distro and I am missing some programs, among which Blender, FreeCad, Rosegarden and QSynth ( I have Fluidsynth) .

From what I could find in my searching I don´t to want to install from non-Artix repos  and as I don´t understand what AppImages  reallly are  I don´t feel comfortable with them although I have used one for MuseScore once.

I am inclined to try compiling these programs, but I gave up trying to compile some years ago when I tried to install Gentoo on an i-mac G3 with 345 MB ram.  Well... I compile eventually  in Slackware, but that does not really count since it is so easy with SlackBuilds, I don´t understand much, just follow instructions - which are readily available.

I am posting this in hope to get links to tutorials for newbies in compiling on how to compile under Artix. 

Will be grateful !

Re: Where can I start learning to compile under Artix?

Reply #1
You can add Arch's extra repo which has blender for example https://wiki.artixlinux.org/Main/Repositories.

Do you mean compiling from source only or packaging?

Check the AUR there are a lot of packages there but be careful.

Reply #2
I made this post answering a similar question some time ago.
https://forum.artixlinux.org/index.php/topic,5877.msg36630.html#msg36630
Have a read of that first.

What you don't want to do is to try and and compile and install any complicated programs, with many dependencies, outside of the package manager.

Use makepkg, PKGBUILD's and pacman and you can easily remove a package you have self built and installed.
Use make & make install etc, etc and you cannot.
There are exceptions but the package manager should know about most system files.

Reply #3
You can add Arch's extra repo which has blender for example https://wiki.artixlinux.org/Main/Repositories.

Do you mean compiling from source only or packaging?

Check the AUR there are a lot of packages there but be careful.

Thanks for the tip!

Can you give me  a  quick, simple distinction between "compiling from source only and packaging" ?  I am not sure about what you mean - my fault, of course.

As per the OP, I am reticent about non-Artix repos, probably due to ignorance.

Reply #4
I made this post answering a similar question some time ago.
https://forum.artixlinux.org/index.php/topic,5877.msg36630.html#msg36630
Have a read of that first.

What you don't want to do is to try and and compile and install any complicated programs, with many dependencies, outside of the package manager.

Use makepkg, PKGBUILD's and pacman and you can easily remove a package you have self built and installed.
Use make & make install etc, etc and you cannot.
There are exceptions but the package manager should know about most system files.

Thank you @gripped     for a perfect kind of answer. I haven´t read the article yet, but I am sure it will be helpful!

Reply #5
Hello,

I'm bad at compiling, but I can get by using yay to install a few packages from the AUR repositories.
I also use some packages from the Chaotic-AUR repository:
https://aur.chaotic.cx/docs

I use several Appimage, notably those for FreeCAD 0.21.2 and FreeCAD 0.22 weekly
Currently, to be able to launch FreeCAD-0.21.2-Linux-x86_64.AppImage you must place a bash file next to it containing this:
Code: [Select]
#!/bin/bash
env LD_PRELOAD=/usr/lib/libdrm_amdgpu.so.1 /<path>/<to>/FreeCAD-0.21.2-Linux-x86_64.AppImage
If necessary, make this file executable (chmod +x).
This file is not necessary for the weekly version (0.22 currently).

I currently no longer need the extra (arch) repositories.

Reply #6
I am posting this in hope to get links to tutorials for newbies in compiling on how to compile under Artix. 

https://forum.artixlinux.org/index.php/topic,6495.msg39723.html#msg39723

How about writing less and reading more instead?
How much longer do you want to remain a newbie?
Who do you think the articles I linked are intended for?

"Wer alles kann, macht nichts richtig"

Artix USE="runit openrc slim openbox lxde gtk2 qt4 qt5 qt6 conky
-gtk3 -gtk4 -adwaita{cursors,themes,icons} -gnome3 -kde -plasma -wayland "

Reply #7
posted by @lq :
How about writing less and reading more instead?
How much longer do you want to remain a newbie?
Who do you think the articles I linked are intended for?

Thank you  @lq   for reminding of my previous thread , and I am sorry for being guilty of duplication.

It was unintended, just a miss in the middle of a variety of problems, I simply forgot about it.

I am not the efficient person I ought to be to play around with multiboots, but  multibooting is the way I found to cope with my inexperience.  Sometimes I can be unable for long periods to use some distros, but I always have some distros to cope with my multiple interests which include music, video and graphic production, as well as technical design and language teaching. The art of multibooting has with time become also an interest in its own.  It is a bit too much and may lead to such  blunders.

I am already working on the link provided by  @gripped, and will go on  to your links and  will answer your third question  when I am ready.

as for how long a newbie I would wish no more than 20 minutes, but I have been working on it for a couple years now.

Reply #8
  posted by @tintin:
I use several Appimage, notably those for FreeCAD 0.21.2 and FreeCAD 0.22 weekly
Currently, to be able to launch FreeCAD-0.21.2-Linux-x86_64.AppImage you must place a bash file next to it containing this:
Code: [Select]
#!/bin/bash
env LD_PRELOAD=/usr/lib/libdrm_amdgpu.so.1 /path/to/FreeCAD-0.21.2-Linux-x86_64.AppImage

Thank you @tintin !
I rather use AppImages than trying to manage non-Artix binaries, and FreeCad was the program that caused this thread, so I am going to try it ASAP.!  And try to understand what is the difference betweenn using an AppImage and using a package.

Reply #9
Hi there !

I still consider myself a newbie, one that likes to run multiboots and has been using Artix for many years as the distro responsible  for Grub in my machines .

I am now trying to test Artix as my daily distro and I am missing some programs, among which Blender, FreeCad, Rosegarden and QSynth ( I have Fluidsynth) .

From what I could find in my searching I don´t to want to install from non-Artix repos  and as I don´t understand what AppImages  reallly are  I don´t feel comfortable with them although I have used one for MuseScore once.

I am inclined to try compiling these programs, but I gave up trying to compile some years ago when I tried to install Gentoo on an i-mac G3 with 345 MB ram.  Well... I compile eventually  in Slackware, but that does not really count since it is so easy with SlackBuilds, I don´t understand much, just follow instructions - which are readily available.

Will be grateful !

I think it might be useful to learn the fundamentals of Make?

https://www.gnu.org/software/make/manual/make.html

Reply #10
posted by @MrBrklyn:
I think it might be useful to learn the fundamentals of Make?

https://www.gnu.org/software/make/manual/make.html

Thanks  MrBrklyn! Really appreciated !

That is one link I never came across in my prolonged searching, probably for not knowing or thinking of the right searching terms.

I did run some make commands years ago when I tried, in vain, I must confess, to grasp Gentoo but I did it just in following some recipe without any understanding whatsoever of what it was or did or how it worked.  I will sure be looking into it although it probably be a while before that, as learning to compile can't be among my highest priorities now.

Nice to get help!