Skip to main content
Topic: YouTube - problem scrolling down the page (Read 284 times) previous topic - next topic

YouTube - problem scrolling down the page

Today I noticed that if I scroll down on a YouTube page the video thumbnails on the right side stop loading and there is a spinning wheel shown, if there are lots of comments on the page you can scroll down further but otherwise the page stops there. I doubt it's an Artix problem, more likely something related to the YouTube site, but there seems to be something not working properly there. This occurs in Waterfox and Firefox, and clearing cookies and cache, disabling Ublock Origin or using a fresh profile didn't help. Occasionally it might work better but mostly it doesn't.

Re: YouTube - problem scrolling down the page

Reply #1
I'm using librewolf without issue.  lewt me check firefox

so the caveat is that i'm on chimera linux atm and firefox is from the flatpak but it works fine.  I was having issue with firefox from their repos crashing on me on their webchat page.  Of course none of that matters now because i'm banned from their web chat except that my vpn can get me back in anytime i wsh but really those folks are psycho.  But enough of that.

Let me try on artix and see what happens.
Cat Herders of Linux

Reply #2
Sorry.  Can't reproduce your problem in firefox or librewolf.  I have had issue playing youtube videos while not signed in and was forced to sign in BUT that's a very different issue from the one you are having.  Even so, are you signed in or out when you have this issue?
Cat Herders of Linux

Reply #3
i'm going to guess its an issue with your firewall or your isp?  but i am just guessing.  i even tried in firefox esr and it's working as intended.
Cat Herders of Linux

Reply #4
give the flatpak a try
Cat Herders of Linux

Reply #5
I'm signed out, the problem appears on both my laptops, Dell E7470 - 2016, i7-6600U, Intel graphics, which isn't that ancient so ought to work you'd think, and M4500 - 2010, i7 Q820, Nvidia graphics. The Waterfox I'm using is the Waterfox own build one, while Firefox is from the Artix repo. Also I was just trying with Firefox and Devuan on the E7470 which hasn't been updated for a month and that's currently more or less working, but is still very slow to load the content below the video when you scroll down and the page in general is sluggish to respond. Could be just a local issue and UK youtube servers are unable to meet demand, or as you say it's an ISP problem. It's normal here that at times you have to select low resolutions to get videos to play without breaks, but that typically doesn't last for more than a couple of hours, and  I'm getting the slow or broken scrolling problem in relation to videos that are playing back fine in 1080 HD. In the past sometimes if you watched a video then occasionally you had to reload the page before it would scroll down and show the comments but now it is doing it from the outset. Very helpful to know this probably isn't a software problem at my end, if you are not experiencing it, thank you. I found some similar complaints searching online, some talk about "experimental" features being enabled for some users. Hopefully whatever it is will be fixed eventually.

Reply #6
I'm wondering if a script is failing to load or something. Do you have some kind of DNS-based adblock running on your network? Maybe the JS console can give an additional hint. If it is indeed some kind of botched experiment, it won't last too long.

Reply #7
Testing today, Firefox with a clean profile  will scroll down, Waterfox in a clean profile soon stops going down.
Waterfox has a console "error" which is not present in Firefox, the "warnings" seem to be more or less the same in both:
Code: [Select]
Uncaught (in promise) DOMException: The play method is not allowed by the user agent or the platform in the current context, possibly because the user denied permission.
Using a clean profile means there are no extensions or adblockers, all settings are default, and I haven't configured any special blocking elsewhere myself, my router has a built in firewall as normal.
Opera scrolls down below the video much faster and smoother than either of those browsers, even with the VPN enabled. Waterfox is based on Firefox LTS so it might improve in the next release.