Skip to main content
Topic: no pacsave file for syslinux despite pacman warning (Read 171 times) previous topic - next topic

no pacsave file for syslinux despite pacman warning

I just did a regular full system update which included syslinux, and despite pacman saying
Code: [Select]
warning: /boot/syslinux/syslinux.cfg saved as /boot/syslinux/syslinux.cfg.pacsave
the latter file does not exist.

I don't believe there is any critical problem here, but pacman is lying, and that's a bug somewhere, right?

Re: no pacsave file for syslinux despite pacman warning

Reply #1
The backup file was removed in this commit. I honestly don't remember what the pacman behavior is in this case, but I would have expected the "/boot/syslinux/syslinux.cfg" to indeed be saved as '/boot/syslinux/syslinux.cfg.pacsave" as the message says. But maybe if you never modified it and left it as the default, pacman removes it?

Reply #2
I certainly have modified /boot/syslinux/syslinux.cfg. So I'd conclude this is a pacman bug; it should instead inform the user that the file is no longer tracked. Or say nothing at all.

BTW, the default file under /usr/share/syslinux/ still says
Code: [Select]
LABEL arch
MENU LABEL Arch Linux
#...
LABEL archfallback
MENU LABEL Arch Linux Fallback

Reply #3
Same here. I surely did modify cfg, pacman did say the same warning, and there's no changes in my cfg and no pacsave file.