Skip to main content
Topic solved
This topic has been marked as solved and requires no further attention.
Topic: Blender error while loading shared libraries (Read 812 times) previous topic - next topic

Blender error while loading shared libraries

When I start blender I get this error.
Code: [Select]
/usr/bin/blender: error while loading shared libraries: libboost_python312.so.1.83.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
Its linking to the old library
lddtree $(which blender) | grep boost
        libboost_thread.so.1.86.0 => /usr/lib/libboost_thread.so.1.86.0
        libboost_filesystem.so.1.86.0 => /usr/lib/libboost_filesystem.so.1.86.0
            libboost_atomic.so.1.86.0 => /usr/lib/libboost_atomic.so.1.86.0
    libboost_python312.so.1.83.0 => None
        libboost_python312.so.1.86.0 => /usr/lib/libboost_python312.so.1.86.0
        libboost_iostreams.so.1.86.0 => /usr/lib/libboost_iostreams.so.1.86.0
    libboost_filesystem.so.1.83.0 => None
    libboost_locale.so.1.83.0 => None
    libboost_thread.so.1.83.0 => None
    libboost_iostreams.so.1.83.0 => None
I have tired reinstalling both blender and boost-libs

Re: Blender error while loading shared libraries

Reply #1
Same, reinstalling/downgrading didn't work for me either. Looks like a packaging problem. For some reason updating Blender always leads to the same errors with library links . I'm using the unofficial AppImage by erroreutopia until it's fixed.

Reply #2
I've been having issues getting it to build. In the meantime, if you have Arch repos enabled, installing extra/blender will work.

Reply #3
I have the exact same issue, and I updated today, its definitely a repo problem

Reply #4
Here's the build log if anyone wants to take a crack at it. Still not building.

Reply #5
Updated everything today, still not running

Reply #7
Here's the build log if anyone wants to take a crack at it. Still not building.
For what it's worth it fails in the same place, same errors, building in a clean arch chroot.

At some point if I remember I'll try it on bare metal as the only other thing I can think of is kernel differences ?
Otherwise how Arch are producing the package I'm not sure ?

Reply #8
For what it's worth it fails in the same place, same errors, building in a clean arch chroot.

At some point if I remember I'll try it on bare metal as the only other thing I can think of is kernel differences ?
Otherwise how Arch are producing the package I'm not sure ?

Thank you for the investigation! I don't have enough ram on my personal machine to attempt builds locally so I couldn't try in Arch. You never know how the Arch maintainers build stuff because they don't always build in a clean chroot anyway.

Reply #9
Looking at it a bit more this seems to be the main problem in your build log
Line 2094
[2024-09-15T23:08:12.916Z] icpx: warning: ocloc tool could not be found and is required for AOT compilation. See: https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/develop/documentation/oneapi-dpcpp-cpp-compiler-dev-guide-and-reference/top/compilation/ahead-of-time-compilation.html for more information. [-Waot-tool-not-found]
But an ocloc binary is not part of any of the dependencies in the Arch PKGBUILD?

On Arch
pkgfile ocloc
extra/intel-oneapi-basekit
But intel-compute-runtime (is a dependency) does contain a /usr/bin/ocloc-24.35.1
Linking that to  /usr/bin/ocloc made that error go away but there are now other errors (strangely they appear to occur earlier than the ocloc one ?) all following a similar pattern
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

It looks like maybe the installed cuda and gcc aren't getting along?
I very briefly tried using gcc13 but got nowhere with that.
I accept defeat for now.

Reply #10
Changed nothing and now it builds. Fingers crossed the rebuild for ffmpeg 7.1 also succeeds.

Reply #11
I'd argue that Blender should be just downloaded from official website as a portable package due to having separate python binaries and environment, Arch/Artix have their own system env that blender addons could inadvertently fuck over simply because most of the new addons can have internet access and could use something pip-like to install whatever it wants to the system environment.