Skip to main content
Topic: Is Archlinux getting bloated? (Read 2061 times) previous topic - next topic

Is Archlinux getting bloated?

My early days building ArchBang was around 400mbs, these days (or rather a couple of days ago)... iso is at 826mbs

What is going on?????

Do I need to switch to Alpine? Void (yuk) or Puppy!
Mr Green ArchBang Iso Developer

Re: Is Archlinux getting bloated?

Reply #2
My early days building ArchBang was around 400mbs, these days (or rather a couple of days ago)... iso is at 826mbs

What is going on?????

The base has gotten bloated for sure. Ive not looked into it but i believe void linux might be a tad lighter in regards to its base.

https://www.archlinux.org/groups/x86_64/base/

Reply #3
Does this mean Artix is getting bloated as well??

Reply #4
Linux in general is getting bloated, but not in the way Microsoft/Apple have become over the years

Reply #5

What is going on?????

I've been wanting to install Alpine or Puppy onto a USB stick so that I can boot from them, in order to do certain tasks in a sandboxed OS, but whenever I go to either of their websites, it appears that their security certificates are invalid. I doubt that much would come of it if I added an exception in my browser and connected anyway, but I can't help but feel concerned about the potential security risks. I don't know, I can always confirm the validity of the ISO image with their PGP key, but still, it's something that concerns me. Has anyone else had the same issues with either puppylinux.com and/or alpinelinux.org?

Reply #6
You can also install Artix through the iso base and set up a lightweight environment such as Lxde or i3. I have a 2go ram pc with Artix Lxde it consumes less than 150 MB at startup.