Skip to main content
Topic: Display shuts off during boot from stick (Read 580 times) previous topic - next topic

Display shuts off during boot from stick

I have a Lenovo desktop running Majaro. Everything works fine, but I've decided to switch over to Artix with runit.

I created a base boot usb stick, and am able to boot to the install menu. When I choose boot from usb stick I get a few messages scroll by quickly as it starts to boot, then the display clears and never comes back. Eventually, the monitor shuts off as it can't find a source.

I'm not sure what is going wrong or how to debug this. Are there grub or kernel  options I can set to help me figure what's going on.

I have not tried a desktop boot as I don't use any of the standard desktops (I use dwm), and would prefer to set everything up myself, but I could do that and work my way back to my preferred environment. This is what I had to do on Manjaro, but  maybe that's why I'd rather not do it again.

Re: Display shuts off during boot from stick

Reply #1
This is most probably kernel and/or ACPI-related. Please, first try disabling ACPI by passing the 'acpi=off' kernel parameter; 'nolapic' is another candidate. If all these fail, try an other base ISO, i.e. the weekly, if yours is the 20200214 one.