Skip to main content
Topic: Few configuration problems with brithness and keymap (Read 1105 times) previous topic - next topic

Few configuration problems with brithness and keymap

Hello !

After all, maybe my english will be a bit bad, I'll try to do my best ^^

I have a list of issues I'm encountering after 2 fresh install of Artix OpenRC with GNOME as DE and GDM as display manager (installed form base iso)
I also tried with runit and s6 iso and I'm facing the same issues, but with a fresh Arch install (so with SystemD) everything is working fine.
So, first, the list :

- The keymap at boot time when the password prompt for decrypting LVM volume is showing up is in QWERTY and I need AZERTY
What I've alredy done : rc-update add keymaps boot is done and the /etc/conf.d/keymaps file is edited with "fr" keymap, also my hooks are in this order and it's working with Arch SystemD : base udev keyboard keymap autodetect modconf block encrypt lvm2 filesystems fsck

- The keymap is also in QWERTY when the GDM password prompt is showing up but if I go to tty2 it's in AZERTY (I tried with LightDM and I'm facing the same issue :/ )

- Now the display. I have 2 problems, Brithness control and Gnome NightShift.

-Brithness control is not working in GNOME (with the brithness keys or in gnome shell) also, xbacklight command are not working I have this error "No outputs have backlight property" even if I have a folder here /sys/class/backlight/intel_backlight with different config files. I tried some tips like editing /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/20-intel.conf (not working). The only "working" tip is to add acpi_brithness=video kernel parameter, but it's """working""" gnome shell brithness slider is not working... the keys on my keyboard are working but the -inc / -dec step is approx 1 and I can not edit this parameter in /sys/class/backlight/acpi
_video0/scale (I don't have permissions even in root) and the second problem is that NightShift is not working...

I have mesa and xf86-video-intel packages updated.

Here is the result of rc-status --all
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Also I'm not sure  it's important to mention but my /boot and /boot/EFI partitions are together in a usb key, separated from the lvm luks partition.
I've searched a lot on different wiki and forum (including here) and I don't manage to solve all those issues :/ so I post here.

Thank you ^^

Re: Few configuration problems with brithness and keymap

Reply #1
Wait a second, gdm actually works for you on runit? I haven't tested the latest update but previously it only worked on openrc for (still unknown) reasons with the displaymanager-openrc script.

Reply #2
Nop ^^ sorry, I forgot some info here.
When I tried with runit and s6 I was using startx to launch gnome-session.

Reply #3
No one has an idea ?
I'm still searching on other forum and wiki but it's always the same tips. Maybe I forgot some packages ?

EDIT : with gnome on xorg, xbacklight commands are working (obviously ?) but the controlling the brightness with keyboard is impossible and NightShift is still not working.

Reply #4
Unfortunately, Gnome makes it hard for non-systemd setups, hence our namesake ISO is still in testing. Perhaps our Gnome ISO baker (@linuxer) may shed some light in your issue.

Reply #5
With GNOME wayland, you would need to use the GNOME utility for controlling the backlight (anything xorg-related wouldn't work of course). Now it sounds like the GNOME utility doesn't actually work which sort of means you're out of luck (aside from sending an upstream bug report). The rest I don't know either.

Reply #6
Backlight - that is behaving strangely for me too, although my brightness is normal and the function keys work here. I have it set in the BIOS menu though. But when I tried echoing values to set it directly which I thought I could do in the past it ignores them, unless I'm messing this up:
Code: [Select]
# echo 15>/sys/class/backlight/acpi_video0/brightness
# cat /sys/class/backlight/acpi_video0/brightness
It doesn't work the other way either, when it's set to max and I try to echo a lower value.
Grub has some config option in /etc/default/grub to set a keymap I think, then you run update-grub. No idea if it's still there but there used to be a button somewhere on the GDM login screen to set the keymap, perhaps it may not look like a button or be shown by default.

Reply #7
So actually I tested gdm-s6 and it seems like it works again for whatever reason (hurray). That means gdm-runit should work since it's almost exactly the same.

Reply #8
Hello !

After all, maybe my english will be a bit bad, I'll try to do my best ^^

I have a list of issues I'm encountering after 2 fresh install of Artix OpenRC with GNOME as DE and GDM as display manager (installed form base iso)
I also tried with runit and s6 iso and I'm facing the same issues, but with a fresh Arch install (so with SystemD) everything is working fine.
So, first, the list :

- The keymap at boot time when the password prompt for decrypting LVM volume is showing up is in QWERTY and I need AZERTY
What I've alredy done : rc-update add keymaps boot is done and the /etc/conf.d/keymaps file is edited with "fr" keymap, also my hooks are in this order and it's working with Arch SystemD : base udev keyboard keymap autodetect modconf block encrypt lvm2 filesystems fsck

- The keymap is also in QWERTY when the GDM password prompt is showing up but if I go to tty2 it's in AZERTY (I tried with LightDM and I'm facing the same issue :/ )

- Now the display. I have 2 problems, Brithness control and Gnome NightShift.

-Brithness control is not working in GNOME (with the brithness keys or in gnome shell) also, xbacklight command are not working I have this error "No outputs have backlight property" even if I have a folder here /sys/class/backlight/intel_backlight with different config files. I tried some tips like editing /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/20-intel.conf (not working). The only "working" tip is to add acpi_brithness=video kernel parameter, but it's """working""" gnome shell brithness slider is not working... the keys on my keyboard are working but the -inc / -dec step is approx 1 and I can not edit this parameter in /sys/class/backlight/acpi
_video0/scale (I don't have permissions even in root) and the second problem is that NightShift is not working...

I have mesa and xf86-video-intel packages updated.

Here is the result of rc-status --all
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Also I'm not sure  it's important to mention but my /boot and /boot/EFI partitions are together in a usb key, separated from the lvm luks partition.
I've searched a lot on different wiki and forum (including here) and I don't manage to solve all those issues :/ so I post here.

Thank you ^^

Hi,

Please check some solutions, already mentioned in Gnome Announcement

Note, that we are using LightDM and not GDM, that was proven to be unstable (Gnome Dash breaking GDM+Gnome, GDM not starting with our init systems, e.t.c.), so we cannot count on it.

Gnome Nightshift has not been tested with our ISO, I would like to have your feedback into this.

Keyboard maps are set from the keyboard settings during the installation.

Ever since this installation, as I perceive has been performed from base ISO, maybe some settings were not passed to the GDM accordingly.

If so please ref to the GDM Wiki

Regards