Skip to main content
Topic: SOLVED wvdial cannot find usb modem device (Read 1038 times) previous topic - next topic

SOLVED wvdial cannot find usb modem device

Huawei E392. Recognized by Slackware 14.2  (Salix), MX-Linux 18 and Sparkylinux Gameover (Debian Buster) with no issues as dev/ttyUSB0 but this is not found by Artix. So no internet if you have only an usb modem.
Have tried various methods to get the device for the modem, no luck.
Are there alternatives to wvdial in this distro or can the device somehow be listed?

Re: wvdial cannot find usb modem device

Reply #2
Thanks. No they are not (using Artix LXDE which does not have them) - in other distros this works fine without them, and  Networkmanager has not worked with this modem for years so I may not use these at all. (it started working again in Debian 10, ubuntu 20) Will try, need to set up a phone as hotspot first.

Reply #3
modemmanager is not in the repos I currently have but installing the others should do it I guess. New to Arch - have installed Pamac to make life easier to start with..

Reply #4
You mean live artix ISO???

None of our iso have modemmanager installed by default. Before 2 months has another user same problem. I reported that but seems, that nobody did  that

Reply #5
Modem manager is not needed to make the modem work with wvdial. Installed the other files now and it connected with wvdial. Artix is the first distro I've seen apart from AntiX that incudes wvdial in the default install. The files to support usb modem are also needed. AntiX ships these plus a gui for configuring wvdial, UMTS-panel or something. Will install modem manager and modem manager gui though as it makes it possible to send and receive sms with the sim in the modem (phone sim with free data).

Reply #6
AntiX is in a different situation. Their systemd-free distro is based on stock Debian repos and because of dependencies it is impossible to install networkmanager without systemd in some form, or systemd-shim packages. They do the latter in their Xfce-based midweight distro, MX-Antix. Seems they would be better off pooling their efforts with the Devuan team eventually. Artix seems a totally stable and complete systemd-free fork of Arch.

Reply #7
You mean live artix ISO???

None of our iso have modemmanager installed by default. Before 2 months has another user same problem. I reported that but seems, that nobody did  that

To the best of my knowledge, the only relative received provided information, was by your side, today.

Anyway, I hope that they will be added at the ISO profiles.

Regards