Skip to main content
Topic: wine-staging (Read 1490 times) previous topic - next topic

wine-staging

d

Re: wine-staging

Reply #1
Wine-staging should have nothing to do with your display manager. Try uninistalling it with 'pacman -Rsc wine-staging' first and then reinstalling it and the packages that got removed along. Make sure [lib32] is above [multilib]. Take note which packages got installed with wine-staging and if the problem persists report back.

Reply #2
u

Reply #3
Huh, that sounds like a KMS issue to me. It shouldn't have anything to do with wine, but try adding "nomodeset" to your kernel parameters and see what happens. Assuming you're using grub, you can just hit "e" during bootup to get the grub menu that you can edit. There should be a GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT line and you can add "nomodeset" at the end. You probably have quiet in there as a parameter by default, so it should look something like this after you're done editing.

Code: [Select]
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet nomodeset"

The changes are temporary, but if that stops the black screen issue then just make it permanent by editing /etc/default/grub and running "grub-mkconfig -o /boot/grub/grub.cfg" as root. If you're using a different bootloader, obviously you'd obviously have to do something a little different but the parameter doesn't change.

Reply #4
g

Reply #5
Sorry that's my mistake. I forgot that it's listed differently in the grub menu. Instead, you should see a line somewhere that starts off with "linux" and it's followed by some parameters. That's where you put "nomodeset." Here's a snippet of mine as an example.

Code: [Select]
	echo	'Loading Linux linux-ck ...'
linux /vmlinuz-linux-ck root=/dev/mapper/MyVol-root rw cryptdevice=/dev/sda2:cryptolvm quiet nvidia-drm.modeset=1 nomodeset
echo 'Loading initial ramdisk ...'
initrd  /initramfs-linux-ck.img

Of course, you only need to put "nomodeset" in there.

Reply #6
Look in /etc/default/grub

GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT should be in that file. If not it is safe for you to add it to that file.
Chris Cromer

Reply #7
t

Reply #8
If I understand correctly, you can now at least reach the tty1 login prompt right? Before it was just a black screen that appeared shortly after the openrc startup. If it's looping on you, it sounds like your display manager is trying to start but failing for some reason. Try stopping and disabling xdm in openrc and see if you can login to tty normally.  I'm not sure if you can just log in as root and get to shell or if you'll have to chroot with a live usb.

Reply #9
i

Reply #10
Oh so you were able to reach the login prompt previously? From what you said in the OP, it sounded like you were getting a black screen before any login prompt (and thus unable to do anything). Regardless, it's clear the problem has something to do with xorg, so disable any display managers, login to shell, run plain old "startx" and post the log output here.

Reply #11
g

Reply #12
Could you post the full xorg log somewhere? I think you forgot to attach it. Simply installing wine-staging shouldn't do anything to xorg, so I don't think that's it. But then again this issue started after you installed it so who knows. And it is elogind that's running. The devs don't bother changing the name of everything so you'll still see some thing still named "systemd" and what not.