Skip to main content
Topic: Mouse sometimes will not move (Read 582 times) previous topic - next topic

Mouse sometimes will not move

Hi there,

Recent migrant from Arch to Artix here. So far I haven't run into too many issues, but a strange one has started cropping up. When I log in and start X, my mouse sometimes will not move. The cursor is drawn, but I can't move it. The odd part about this issue is that it does not occur every time I boot. So far to get past it I just keep rebooting until it magically begins to work.

I am using the runit init system, i3wm, and the mouse is a Logitech MX Ergo, which is connected via the Logitech Unifying Receiver.

Code: [Select]
$ uname -a
Linux artixdt 5.8.3-artix1-1 #1 SMP PREEMPT Sat, 22 Aug 2020 20:54:32 +0000 x86_64 GNU/Linux

Please advise what other information about my system you need to know and I'll be happy to post.

Thanks in advance!

Re: Mouse sometimes will not move

Reply #1
This also happened to my logitech, too, I solved it by putting the receiver in another USB port, which was closer to the device. At 2m it had a bad signal and I dropped the signal. Some interference or the like. Changing the position of the recipient solved everything.

Re: Mouse sometimes will not move

Reply #2
Thanks for the reply!

This seems to have solved it for now. However, I dual boot this system with Windows 10 (separate drives) and the receiver works consistently in the port it was in before when I boot into Windows.

According to this line from dmesg, It looks like the system is reads the  device as a keyboard, though when it works it does function as a mouse:
Code: [Select]
[    8.282490] logitech-hidpp-device 0003:046D:406F.0008: input,hidraw1: USB HID v1.11 Keyboard [Logitech MX Ergo] on usb-0000:00:14.0-2/input2:1