Skip to main content
Topic solved
This topic has been marked as solved and requires no further attention.
Topic: NVIDIA drivers won't update, stuck (Read 1739 times) previous topic - next topic

NVIDIA drivers won't update, stuck

sudo pacman -Syyu
:: Starting full system upgrade...
resolving dependencies...
looking for conflicting packages...
error: failed to prepare transaction (could not satisfy dependencies)
:: nvidia-ck: installing nvidia-utils (387.22-1) breaks dependency 'nvidia-utils=387.12'
sudo pacman -S nvidia-utils
resolving dependencies...
:: nvidia-ck: installing nvidia-utils (387.22-1) breaks dependency 'nvidia-utils=387.12'
:: nvidia-dkms: installing nvidia-utils (387.22-1) breaks dependency 'nvidia-utils=387.12'
:: Package dependencies) not found in repositories, trying AUR...
:: resolving dependencies...
:: no results found for dependencies)

sudo pacman -S nvidia-dkms nvidia-utils nvidia-ck
:: nvidia-ck: requires nvidia-utils=387.12

So I woke up this morning & tried to do an update & this is what I'm getting. Nvidia-utils breaks the dependency for nvidia-utils? lol
Unfortunately my NVIDIA GT 1030 isn't supported with nouveau until kernel 4.14, or so I've been told.
What can I do to resolve this nonsense?

Re: NVIDIA drivers won't update, stuck

Reply #1
The nvidia-utils package in Arch is too new for the nvidia packages in Artix. I'm surprised that nvidia-utils isn't in the Artix repos; I always assumed it was. It's probably best for them to get added. Anyways, you can just wait until Artix updates their nvidia packages to match with Arch. Or if you really need it now, you can downgrade nvidia-utils to 387.12, add it to IgnorePkg, and then upgrade again.

Reply #2
The nvidia-utils package in Arch is too new for the nvidia packages in Artix. I'm surprised that nvidia-utils isn't in the Artix repos; I always assumed it was. It's probably best for them to get added. Anyways, you can just wait until Artix updates their nvidia packages to match with Arch. Or if you really need it now, you can downgrade nvidia-utils to 387.12, add it to IgnorePkg, and then upgrade again.
Packages in Arch? Forgive me if I'm mistaken but the packages I've got are all from the Artix repo & not the AUR. I avoided the AUR for NVIDIA & most other things.

Reply #3
I'm referring to the official Arch repos not the AUR. Artix's nvidia-dkms, nvidia-lts, and nvidia-ck packages all pull in nvidia-utils as a dependency. However, nvidia-utils is not available in Artix's repos, so it is pulled in from the extra repo in Arch. The reason you're getting this error is because Arch updated all their nvidia packages today but Artix's last update was a few days ago. That causes a missmatch between nvidia utils versions required by Artix's package and what's in Arch's repo.

Reply #4
It ended up sorting itself out, all good