Skip to main content
Topic: Just a thought (Read 832 times) previous topic - next topic

Just a thought

Newbie trying to make the jump from win.
I test drive all the distros with a disk install, I want the full meal deal and actually enjoy community spins-the gigs
don't really matter.  I'm retired so driving a new distro is kinda like getting a new car. 
One thing I noticed about artix, the installer is adamant about a secure password...ok I get it but why be a stickler
about it?  I can install most arch/debian without even a password, not that I would leave it blank or even a '12345'
once a system is a permanent install.   Wouldn't that simplify the installer build?
I regged the forum to ask the question.  I prefer "caveat emptor" approach.  peace. 

Re: Just a thought

Reply #1
Well you need to name these insecure distros as I for one only know of puppy Linux? If on the other hand you mean the livecd well that is a matter of choice by the Devs and we should resect their decisions not challenge them.

Reply #2
I'm retired so driving a new distro is kinda like getting a new car.
Welcome to our club. "My name is Bob, and I'm a distrohopper".

If the demand for a strong password is too noobish for you, you could try somewhat heavier stuff like installing Artix from base image via chroot.

Reply #3
Welcome to our club. "My name is Bob, and I'm a distrohopper".

If the demand for a strong password is too noobish for you, you could try somewhat heavier stuff like installing Artix from base image via chroot.[/i]
LOL

Well you need to name these insecure distros as I for one only know of puppy Linux? If on the other hand you mean the livecd well that is a matter of choice by the Devs and we should resect their decisions not challenge them.[/i]
There is only One that I would never challenge, my Creator, that would be foolhardy.

TY for your kind advice...note: I qualified myself as 'noob' and asked the question.  If one here touched a nerve, we ask for
a thousand pardons.  ; )   peace. 🙏🏼  

Reply #4
One thing I noticed about artix, the installer is adamant about a secure password...ok I get it but why be a stickler
about it? 
Yeah I'm with you. 
But once it's installed you can change it to whatever you like. I did.
I don't need a secure password. If anyone manages to get a shell on my computer it's not via a password. No sshd or similar.
If anyone is sat in front of my computer trying to get into it they've broken into my flat and then all bets are are off anyway.

Reply #5
about it?

That's calameres (the graphical installer) doing that. You can always just use the base iso for complete control over the install.

Reply #6
That's calameres (the graphical installer) doing that. You can always just use the base iso for complete control over the install.

thank you mate for the kind reply...actually installed arch once from CLI - it was satisfying but not enjoyable.
Appreciate the artix philosophy.  peace.

Reply #7
about it?  I can install most arch/debian without even a password, not that I would leave it blank or even a '12345'
That's the calamares new default. Our weeklies should have this overriden, because it annoys me too when I test-drive our ISOs. In the meantime, you can use the same solution yourself:
Code: [Select]
hyperion:[nous]:~/artools-workspace/iso-profiles% cat common/live-overlay/etc/local.d/allow_weak_pass_in_calamares.start
:

echo "allowWeakPasswords: true" >> /etc/calamares/modules/users.conf &>/dev/null
echo "allowWeakPasswordsDefault: true" >> /etc/calamares/modules/users.conf &>/dev/null
Run the echo commands as root in your live ISO terminal before starting calamares or use a recent weekly ISO.

Reply #8
hyperion:[nous]:~/artools-workspace/iso-profiles% cat common/live-overlay/etc/local.d/allow_weak_pass_in_calamares.start
:

echo "allowWeakPasswords: true" >> /etc/calamares/modules/users.conf &>/dev/null
echo "allowWeakPasswordsDefault: true" >> /etc/calamares/modules/users.conf &>/dev/null

A bit pointless you might as well use the password.  Artix is much faster to write in my view