Skip to main content
Topic solved
This topic has been marked as solved and requires no further attention.
Topic: [SOLVED] PGP check not working (Read 2433 times) previous topic - next topic

[SOLVED] PGP check not working

Entering this command in my terminal in Linux Mint 20 Ulyana (Switching to Artix soon!) and I'm getting this error:

> gpg --auto-key-retrieve --verify artix-cinnamon-openrc-20210101-x86_64.iso.sig artix-cinnamon-openrc-20210101-x86_64.iso
gpg: Signature made Sun 03 Jan 2021 05:31:33 PM AST
gpg:                using RSA key A574A1915CEDE31A3BFF5A68606520ACB886B428
gpg: Can't check signature: No public key

Been searching for a while. Does it have to do with my public key ring on my machine?

Thanks,

Re: PGP check not working

Reply #1
The error appears because your gpg can't contact your specified keyserver - this is a common issue with gpg, unfortunately. Try using another server in your ~/.gnupg/gpg.conf (I use keyserver hkp://pool.sks-keyservers.net).

Code: [Select]
odysseus:[nous]:/srv/iso/iso%  gpg --auto-key-retrieve --verify artix-cinnamon-openrc-20210101-x86_64.iso.sig artix-cinnamon-openrc-20210101-x86_64.iso
gpg: Signature made Sun 03 Jan 2021 10:31:33 PM CET
gpg:                using RSA key A574A1915CEDE31A3BFF5A68606520ACB886B428
gpg: Good signature from "Christos Nouskas <[email protected]>" [ultimate]

Re: PGP check not working

Reply #2
This solved my problem.

I guess Ubuntu and therefore some of it's derivatives need a gnupg.conf created.

Thank you.

Re: [SOLVED] PGP check not working

Reply #3
For me that's not working and i don't even have a gpg.conf file. Tried to publish my keys on the server but the process fails. I use seahorse to manage my keys

Reply #5
I always get "couldn't retrieve keys from server...bad request". Think there is something that i don't really understand. Have to read more about this one

Reply #6
btw...

This service is deprecated. This means it is no longer maintained, and new HKPS certificates will not be issued. Service reliability should not be expected.

Update 2021-06-21: Due to even more GDPR takedown requests, the DNS records for the pool will no longer be provided at all.

https://sks-keyservers.net/

Reply #7
So is there a good suggestion for which keyserver to use in gpg.conf?

Reply #9
Thanks.  I had tried that without success, but I think it's actually OK, and my particular failure (for an AUR package that is probably out of date) had to do with the specific keys required, not the server itself.