Skip to main content
Topic: pacman -Syu dies unexpectedly. (Read 721 times) previous topic - next topic

pacman -Syu dies unexpectedly.

I'm relatively new to Artix, with lots of experience on other distros.

Today I tried to update my system with "pacman -Syu". It downloaded a lot of packages, installed them, and then started running a series of post-transaction hooks. It died like this.
Code: [Select]
==> Starting build: 5.13.6-artix1-1
  -> Running build hook: [base]
  -> Running build hook: [udev]
  -> Running build hook: [autodetect]
modprobe: ERROR: missing parameters. See -h.

This left me with an unbootable system.  Grub can't find the initrd image. I might be able to devise a workaround, but thought I would ask here first. I guess I'll try to teemporarily bypass installation of the newest  kernel. Artix looks sort of vulnerable to error here ... the only kernel I can find is "vmlinuz-linux". Most distros keep at least one old kernel lying around, for error recovery.

As always, any and all suggestions are welcome.
--
David Bryant
Canyon Lake, Texas

Re: pacman -Syu dies unexpectedly.

Reply #1
I'm relatively new to Artix, with lots of experience on other distros.

Today I tried to update my system with "pacman -Syu". It downloaded a lot of packages, installed them, and then started running a series of post-transaction hooks. It died like this.
Code: [Select]
==> Starting build: 5.13.6-artix1-1
  -> Running build hook: [base]
  -> Running build hook: [udev]
  -> Running build hook: [autodetect]
modprobe: ERROR: missing parameters. See -h.

This left me with an unbootable system.  Grub can't find the initrd image. I might be able to devise a workaround, but thought I would ask here first. I guess I'll try to teemporarily bypass installation of the newest  kernel. Artix looks sort of vulnerable to error here ... the only kernel I can find is "vmlinuz-linux". Most distros keep at least one old kernel lying around, for error recovery.

As always, any and all suggestions are welcome.
The problem is with your initramfs(intrd) image. Show us your /etc/mkinitcpio.conf file.
Chris Cromer

Reply #2
The problem is with your initramfs(intrd) image. Show us your /etc/mkinitcpio.conf file.
Never mind. I figured out how to get around that problem (temporarily skipped installation of a new kernel via IgnorePkg =l), but then another problem arose.

I have installed Artix six or seven times.  Every time, the system freezes up entirely at some point ... no mouse, no keyboard ... can't even switch out to the tty session via Ctrl+Alt+F1. Usually, this is not a big problem. I just turn the power off and reboot. But the last time this happened, pacman was running. I tried to renove the incomplete installation of hplip that had been underway when the system froze up, but that didn't work very well. I ended up with hundreds of "file conflicts" involving "files" of length 0 -- the file names existed in the file system, but none of them had any content. I tried to fix that, but couldn't make it work. So I started over.

Now I have a new problem. I installed Artix OK from the .iso file. That always works well. But when I tried to run "pacman -Syu" to get current, I got a bad gpg signature error on package "sddm". I tried the transaction again, but it failed the second time, too. So it appears to me that either sddm-0.19.0-6-x86_64.pkg.tar.zst.sig  or sddm-0.19.0-6-x86_64.pkg.tar.zst has been corrupted in the repos ... it's not very likely a transmission error would bite the same files twice in a row.

I guess I'll try again tomorrow.  8)
--
David Bryant
Canyon Lake, Texas

Reply #3
There was indeed an issue with the SDDM signature; this has been fixed now (might take a few hours for all mirrors to sync)
Which exact kernel do you use?
Are there any messages in the log file dating from the time of the hang(s)?