Skip to main content
Topic: agetty prompt for password but don't login (Read 789 times) previous topic - next topic

agetty prompt for password but don't login

Alright I've spent an hour reading the forum and can't find it so I'll just ask,
when I was using runit I was able to follow the arch wiki on agetty more or less to prompt for the password but not the user
(https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/Getty bottom of the page)
I've seen the other posts saying to add your name to auto login to get that working, and I've tried changing the exec commands in /etc/s6/sv/agetty-tty1/run to get it to prompt me for just a password
How can I get this to work? (This is not urgent feel free to take your time responding)
Thank you

Re: agetty prompt for password but don't login

Reply #1
After you've (correctly) changed the script, you would need to update the s6-rc database for the change to take effect (see the wiki page). That said, maybe I should just change the agetty scripts to accept arbitrary arguments from the config files. I'll probably break the current configuration options that use the USER variable but it should be okay.

Re: agetty prompt for password but don't login

Reply #2
A bit late, but the latest version of s6-script now supports this in a pretty simple manner. Just edit /etc/s6/sv/agetty-tty[1-6].conf and in the ARGS variable, put "-n -o username". Restart the agetty-tty[1-6] service and it should work.