Skip to main content
Topic: Change all shortcut copy/paste other than Ctrl-C/Ctrl-V default,  (Read 1004 times) previous topic - next topic

Change all shortcut copy/paste other than Ctrl-C/Ctrl-V default,

How change all shortcut copy/paste other than Ctrl-C/Ctrl-V default, such as in Desktop Xfce and web browser or applications else

Have had :
Code: [Select]
setxkbmap -option numpad:microsoft
to have Ctrl-v changed to Shift-insert on startup, but it works only on terminal Xfce, or most term., still not work on URxvt.
So need such and Ctrl-c copy to be ctrl-insert

Please help solve, thanks before.

Re: Change all shortcut copy/paste other than Ctrl-C/Ctrl-V default,

Reply #1
Have had :
Code: [Select]
setxkbmap -option numpad:microsoft
to have Ctrl-v changed to Shift-insert on startup, but it works only on terminal Xfce, or most term., still not work on URxvt.
This doesn't do what you think it does. From man 7 xkeyboard-config:
       numpad:microsoft             Num Lock on: digits; Shift for arrows. Num Lock off: arrows (as in Windows)

Most GUI applications which support shortcut keys like Ctrl+C/Ctrl+V also support Ctrl+Insert/Shift+Insert. The latter are IBM CUA versions of Apple's keyboard shortcuts adopted and modified by Microsoft.

Terminal emulators are a very special case. Some key combinations have special meanings in terminal input/output. For example, Ctrl+S will "freeze the terminal" and not "open the Save dialog". Likewise with Ctrl+C.

What I'm using myself to copy and paste text from a terminal emulator is tmux with tmux-yank plugin. It solves a number of other problems as well, for example scrollback buffer in st, the terminal emulator which I'm using. In tmux, Ctrl+b [ enters "copy mode", where pressing "y" yanks (copies) text to clipboard and "Y" pastes it to command line.