Skip to main content
Topic solved
This topic has been marked as solved and requires no further attention.
Topic: [SOLVED] External monitor setup w/ dwm (Read 1176 times) previous topic - next topic

[SOLVED] External monitor setup w/ dwm

Hi everyone,

I have a monitor in my office which I've never used to this point, and I would like to configure my dwm build to work flawlessly on it. After plugging the cable, I simply redirected the output with:

xrandr --output VGA-1 --auto --output LVDS-1 --off

After which my laptop's screen shut down and the monitor shows my desktop (magic!  :D ). Problem is, although the monitor shows no "black" or "dead" regions, the regions which go beyond my laptop's main resolution seem to be "replicas" of the wallpaper I currently use, and windows do not appear in such regions. It seems like X recognizes the different screen resolution while dwm does not. I know maybe I wasn`t clear, I`ll post a screenshot if that may help.

The suckless website says:

If configured to use Xinerama libraries in config.mk, dwm can automatically detect configured screen outputs (monitor, overhead projector, etc.) and their resolutions and draw the windows in the output area accordingly.

And I think my config.mk has them enabled via:

Code: [Select]
# Xinerama, comment if you don't want it
XINERAMALIBS = -lXinerama
XINERAMAFLAGS = -DXINERAMA

So... Any hint on what should I do?

Re: External monitor setup w/ dwm

Reply #1
FUQ! It was sufficient to restart the X server, and dwm immediately recognizes the new resolution and re-adjusts! Sorry for the useless topic, hope someone may find it useful in some way. :/