Skip to main content
Topic: Gvfs is not working at all (Read 1695 times) previous topic - next topic

Gvfs is not working at all

I tried installing a new artix(Openrc) installation for the first time but iam having problem that all filemanagers thunar,nautilus and nemo wont detect my windows partition nor does it detect my android phone and there isnt any kind of trash that is usually setup by gvfs

and i did check multiple times i do have gvfs gvfs-mtp ntfs-3g and reinstalled them and neither of them work

Sorry for bad english

Re: Gvfs is not working at all

Reply #1
Have you tried to install autofs and gnome-disk-utility ?

Reply #2
It could be something with permissions, udev, polkit or dbus.

Reply #3
I use thunar and to get automount and trash etc to work I have to run dbus-launch thunar. This is probably not the best solution but it does work!

Reply #4
I tried installing a new artix(Openrc) installation for the first time but iam having problem that all filemanagers thunar,nautilus and nemo wont detect my windows partition nor does it detect my android phone and there isnt any kind of trash that is usually setup by gvfs

and i did check multiple times i do have gvfs gvfs-mtp ntfs-3g and reinstalled them and neither of them work

Please, post your /etc/os-release.

Reply #5
HI,

Sorry to necrobump, but I encountered the same problem using Sway. I used what's suggested in the Gentoo wiki (https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Sway) , copying `sway.desktop` to `sway-custom.desktop`, while changing the Exec line in the latter to `Exec=dbus-run-session sway`. Now, launching thunar in sway spawned from SDDM is working as intended.

OpenRC does not automatically run DBus, the same tricks may be needed for other DM/DE and init system mix.

Reply #6
OpenRC does not automatically run DBus, the same tricks may be needed for other DM/DE and init system mix.
All our default DE installations auto-start dbus; most DEs autodetect it and use it, while others - usually very lightweight or tiling WMs geared towards more advanced users - leave that choice (correctly) to them.