Skip to main content
Topic solved
This topic has been marked as solved and requires no further attention.
Topic: Settings app not working after upgrade ( Cinnamon ) (Read 655 times) previous topic - next topic

Settings app not working after upgrade ( Cinnamon )

Hello guys, hope everyone to be safe and sound.
I installed Artix cinnamon stable (runit). before upgrade everything work fine but I updated my system.
After update Settings app, Themes, Backgrounds, Network Manager and every app that has settings NOT working.

Now what should I do?

Re: Settings app not working after upgrade ( Cinnamon - Runit )

Reply #2
I have pushed a new version of cinnamon. Please try now.
Chris Cromer

Reply #3
Thanks for the solution!

I  keep an installed and constantly upgraded base ISO, without Xorg, without DE, without display manager, and use it as a start point for various Artix experiments.  Gnome and Mate were installed from it without a problem.

For a coupe of days try to install Cinnamon.  It installs, Xorg starts, LightDM works, Cinnamon opens, workspace looks fine - but works only partially.  Neither applets nor anything related to System Settings can be opened.  Similar problems in Cinnamon are usually related to python, but to find out what pkgs are missing from about 860 python pkgs in Artix was a difficult task.

python-requests with its dependencies was the solution.  Cinnamon-runit, made from base ISO, is fully functional now and works fine here.

Many thanks for original question, for suggested workaround, for updated cinnamon pkg, which includes needed python pkgs.

Reply #4
I solved my problem.
I recommend you to install cinnamon with Base ISO with lightDM.

Reply #5
[This commands are for Base ISO file.]

+ see this video:
https://youtu.be/mIpZA6z-Ctk

+ When you want to install desktop environment (in video above 25:22) replace these packages to install cinnamon instead of KDE :
Code: [Select]
pacman -Sy xf86-video-intel cinnamon gnome-terminal xorg --ignore xorg-server-xdmx lightdm lightdm-runit  lightdm-gtk-greeter

+ After install, activate display server (LightDM) with this command:
Code: [Select]
ln -s /etc/runit/sv/lightdm /run/runit/services/lightdm && reboot

+ Customizing Cinnamon in Arch:
https://youtu.be/MEdIA1EgMS0

Reply #6
+ After install, activate display server (LightDM) with this command:
Did you install and try to run lightdm-gtk-greeter-settings package after that?  If yes, whether or not it runs (opens) for you?

Reply #7
I only installed those packages. it doesn't have "-settings".