Skip to main content
Topic: Guide to setting up Steam and ESync (Read 8024 times) previous topic - next topic

Guide to setting up Steam and ESync

Hey Guys, just made a video guide to help those having trouble finding a few things into setting up their ulimit for ESync and getting Steam with Proton-GE setup.

https://youtu.be/AVqsdO7xENg

Not trying to advertise anything, I'm legitimately just trying to get some information out there

Re: Guide to setting up Steam and ESync

Reply #1
If there's anything wrong with it, just message me or reply to the post and I'll try my best to fix it. I don't want to spread misinformation.

Reply #2
This was a great run through.  I'll have to write a simple walk through as I prefer to simply read commands and input them, but this plus installing lib32-nvidia-utils got me playing cyberpunk 2077 on Artix in no time!  Thanks so much!

Reply #3
Text version of the tutorial above:

Enable the Arch Repositories.

sudo pacman -S artix-archlinux-support (copy and paste the repositories into the pacman.conf)

sudo vim /etc/pacman.conf

Uncomment the artix lib32 repositories.

Uncomment the arch multilib repositories.

Once you have edited the pacman.conf, enter the following command:

sudo pacman-key --populate archlinux

Then sync all your repositories:

sudo pacman -Syy

To be sure, go ahead and update the system again:

sudo pacman -Syu

You will need a web browser to use Chris Titus's guide on setting up gaming on Linux (you'll most likely just need this guide though).

Reset your ulimit:

To see your current ulimit:

ulimit -Hn

Now let's edit our limit:

sudo vim /etc/limits

Type in the following (username is your username):

username N524288

Write/Quite your text editor, and then edit the following file:

sudo vim /etc/security/limits.conf

Scroll to the end of the file and make a couple new lines under the <domain> section

username    soft    nofile    524288
username    hard    nofile    524288

Write/Quit the file, and now set the changes (log off or reboot).

Once you have rebooted (check your ulimit to see if it was set):

ulimit -Hn

This should now return 524288.

You can now enable esync into steam and lutris.

Enter the following command to install the drivers:

sudo pacman -S lib32-mesa vulkan-radeon lib32-vulkan-radeon vulkan-icd-loader lib32-vulkan-icd-loader -y

Once that has finished, you will then edit your etc environment:

sudo vim /etc/environment

And append this on a new line:

RADV_PERFTEST=aco

Write/Quit, and now install wine by entering the following command:

You will be given some split option repositories (always choose world, always choose multilib, and artix repositories if given that choice).

sudo pacman -S wine-staging giflib lib32-giflib libpng lib32-libpng libldap lib32-libldap gnutls lib32-gnutls mpg123 lib32-mpg123 openal lib32-openal v4l-utils lib32-v4l-utils libpulse lib32-libpulse libgpg-error lib32-libgpg-error alsa-plugins lib32-alsa-plugins alsa-lib lib32-alsa-lib libjpeg-turbo lib32-libjpeg-turbo sqlite lib32-sqlite libxcomposite lib32-libxcomposite libxinerama lib32-libgcrypt libgcrypt lib32-libxinerama ncurses lib32-ncurses opencl-icd-loader lib32-opencl-icd-loader libxslt lib32-libxslt libva lib32-libva gtk3 lib32-gtk3 gst-plugins-base-libs lib32-gst-plugins-base-libs vulkan-icd-loader lib32-vulkan-icd-loader lutris -y

Once finished, install steam:

sudo pacman -S steam

And start steam so that it can set up its configuration, either through the desktop, or simply enter the following command:

steam

Make sure not to install steam-native-runtime. To be sure it isn't installed, run the following command:

sudo pacman -R steam-native-runtime

Next install protonup using the following commands (you will need git for this):

git clone https://github.com/AUNaseef/protonup

cd protonup

python3 setup.py install --user

Next we are going to edit our .bash_profile, cd to your home directory and enter the following command to see all hidden files:

ls -a

Once you have located your .bash_profile, enter the following command:

sudo vim .bash_profile

On a new line enter the following (before the [[ -f ~/.bashrc ]] line):

if [ -d "$HOME/.local/bin" ] ; then
    PATH="$HOME/.local/bin:$PATH"
fi

Write/Quit out of that file.

Restart terminal, or simply enter:

source .bash_profile

From the home directory make a new directory:

mkdir .steam/root/compatibilitytools.d

And then enter the following command:

protonup -d ".steam/root/compatibilitytools.d/"

And then enter the following command, and enter Y for yes when prompted:

protonup

And that finishes longview3k's tutorial, I also needed to install lib32-nvidia-utils for my NVIDIA card.

sudo pacman -S lib32-nvidia-utils

TIP:  You can enable Proton under Steam menu's Settings/Steam_Play section.

ADDENDUM/NOTE: I believe that this installation process at some point installed lib32-systemd, which while allowing steam to work, conflicted with the lib32-eudev and lib32-elogind packages.  Simply remove lib32-systemd and install these packages.

sudo pacman -Rd --nodeps lib32-systemd

The caveat is that steam will still look for libsystemd.so.0 in the /usr/lib32/ directory. Simpy install the libelongd package and create a soft link to the libsystemd.so.0 file ( if it already exists delete it).

sudo ln -s /usr/lib/libelogind.so /usr/lib32/libsystemd.so.0

This addendum is based off the information obtained here:

https://forum.artixlinux.org/index.php/topic,3555.msg23015.html#

Reply #4

Once you have located your .bash_profile, enter the following command:

sudo vim .bash_profile

sudo is not necessary here and it might mess up user rights for your .bash_profile.

Reply #5
The second set of:

should actually be
@username soft nofile 52488
@username hard nofile 52488

Reply #6
sudo is not necessary here and it might mess up user rights for your .bash_profile.

Yes I wondered about that while watching the video, but it didn't seem to cause any issues when I installed it this way.

Reply #7
Yes I wondered about that while watching the video, but it didn't seem to cause any issues when I installed it this way.
Ah yes, sudo, the magical thing that makes everything work, except when it doesn't.
(Not to mention that the command above is assuming $HOME as the current directory. Outside of the video, someone might enter it inside of some other directory than $HOME.)

If the file .bash_profile in the current directory (see above) exists, modifications will be written to that file, it will retain its ownership and permissions, and everyone will be happy.

But if the file .bash_profile in the current directory didn't exist, it will be created with permissions given by umask(1p) and owned by root:root. The most commonly used umask is 0022, which translates to -rw-r--r--, meaning the regular user won't be able to modify that file (only delete it).

Numerous calls to sudo could have been replaced by simply opening a root shell simultaneously with a regular shell.

Anyway, these are the official guides:
https://wiki.artixlinux.org/Site/SteamAnd32bit
https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/Steam