Skip to main content
Topic: Suddenly I'm kicked out to login screen, all apps closed (Read 3359 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Suddenly I'm kicked out to login screen, all apps closed

Reply #15
The Intel graphics driver is completely open source, and generally considered to provide the best default support. But presumably the Radeon graphics card has more features, so you might consider trying this alongside the proprietary closed source Radeon driver, or even give the open source default Radeon driver a go, it is supposed to be a bit better than the open source Nvidia driver. Another thing you could check is if there are any nonfree firmware packages that might be relevant.
COGL is a simplified front end to Open GL, so many low level graphics interfaces could potentially give this effect.
There are 'bare metal' approaches to run 2 OS's, partitions and dual / multi boot, or adding another HDD, then you also have the option of using BIOS bootable disk selection so each drive can be made bootable and operate independently - but I guess you would have trouble finding space for a second HDD in a Macbook.
Virtualbox could be a good way to test if you have cured the problem. Don't know about that vs qemu-kvm myself. A different desktop / WM might have an effect, or the CK kernel, there are a lot of possibilities to try.

Re: Suddenly I'm kicked out to login screen, all apps closed

Reply #16
Thank you again for helping.
But presumably the Radeon graphics card has more features
But is very power-hungry, that's why I keep it powered down, battery, heat and noise. Not an option.
There are 'bare metal' approaches to run 2 OS's, partitions and dual / multi boot
I don't boot MSW for more than a decade, I wouldn't like to start now, I would be "jailed out" of my workstation. Space wouldn't be a problem, I have a 2TB ssd and another empty sata bay where the optical drive was. I boot refind so, again, there's not a problem on booting almost anything.
Don't know about that vs qemu-kvm myself
I guess I'll give qemu-kvm a try, but I would really appreciate that someone with experience on it, could jump in and comment.

Rgds
jss