Skip to main content
Topic: libreoffice 7.3.3-2 depends on older libicu (70) (Read 963 times) previous topic - next topic

libreoffice 7.3.3-2 depends on older libicu (70)

I see this when starting libreoffice:

Code: [Select]
~/Downloads/test $ libreoffice
/usr/lib/libreoffice/program/soffice.bin: error while loading shared libraries: libicudata.so.70: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

Cause seems to be:

~/Downloads/test $ ldd /usr/lib/libreoffice/program/soffice.bin | grep libicu
        libicuuc.so.71 => /usr/lib/libicuuc.so.71 (0x00007fac477c4000)
        libicudata.so.71 => /usr/lib/libicudata.so.71 (0x00007fac426d7000)
        libicui18n.so.71 => /usr/lib/libicui18n.so.71 (0x00007fac41853000)
        libicudata.so.70 => not found
        libicui18n.so.70 => not found
        libicuuc.so.70 => not found

Is libreoffice lagging behind the installed libraries? Should I just wait for an update? Thanks.

Re: libreoffice 7.3.3-2 depends on older libicu (70)

Reply #2
@OP: The only version of LibreOffice maintained and supported by Artix is world/libreoffice-fresh (latest version is 7.3.2-2), and it works without errors with the latest versions of Artix packages. Neither Arch nor Artix have LibreOffice 7.3.3-2.

You should upgrade your system regularly by running
pacman -Syu
as root.

Reply #3
I made a typo in the post subject. Version is 7.3.2-2. Awful sorry about that. I have the following repositories in my pacman.conf: system, world, galaxy, extra, community, in this order. The last two are from arch. Pacman lists:

$ pacman -Ss libreoffice-fresh | grep installed
world/libreoffice-fresh 7.3.2-2 [installed]
extra/libreoffice-fresh 7.3.2-2 [installed]

I kind of presume that it picked the package from world. I am not sure how that can be explicitly specified during installation.

Reply #4
Gosh darn it. The extra repository was the problem. I removed it from the list, removed libreoffice, then re-installed it. Now it works. I don't know what to do about packages that I need from extra, like xorg-xev, etc., but I'll keep digging.

Reply #5
I use the same repositories as you and libreoffice works fine :
$ pacman -Ss libreoffice-fresh | grep installé
world/libreoffice-fresh 7.3.2-2 [installé]
world/libreoffice-fresh-fr 7.3.2-1 [installé]
extra/libreoffice-fresh 7.3.2-2 [installé]
extra/libreoffice-fresh-fr 7.3.2-1 [installé]
Maybe you could clear pacman's cache :
sudo pacman -Scc
And then update your system :
sudo pacman -Syyu
And in case of version conflicts :
sudo pacman -Syyuu

Reply #6
Gosh darn it. The extra repository was the problem. I removed it from the list, removed libreoffice, then re-installed it. Now it works. I don't know what to do about packages that I need from extra, like xorg-xev, etc., but I'll keep digging.
Removing just the Arch LibreOffice package and replacing with Artix package was probably enough (maybe coupled with removing /var/cache/pacman/pkg/libreoffice* files). If you have Arch repositories added in the order that you gave here (extra and community after Artix repositories), then whenever there is a choice of a repository, packages from Artix repositories will be listed first (corresponding to the choice "1"), so simply pressing Enter will install the correct package.

Reply #7
Alright, thank you all for the help and the suggestions. I figured it out. Libreoffice depends on the Boost library and several Boost libraries, like Boost locale, depend on the icu library. In my case, a bad ld.so.conf lists /usr/local/lib before /usr/lib and the dynamic linker first picks the wrong (and stale) Boost lib I have in /usr/local/lib and then finds no libicu for that. Awful sorry for the goose chase.

Reply #8
Removing just the Arch LibreOffice package and replacing with Artix package was probably enough (maybe coupled with removing /var/cache/pacman/pkg/libreoffice* files). If you have Arch repositories added in the order that you gave here (extra and community after Artix repositories), then whenever there is a choice of a repository, packages from Artix repositories will be listed first (corresponding to the choice "1"), so simply pressing Enter will install the correct package.

In light of my recent discovery with ld.so.conf and that I have no idea how or why removing the repos and reinstalling helped. To make matters clearer, I have two almost identical Artix machines: the big one, a desktop, and the laptop. The first post about the removing of the repos and reinstalling solved it for the laptop. The desktop did not work even after I done that which led me to some more digging and discovering the ld.so.conf pestilence.