Skip to main content
Topic: gnome-control-center requires flatpak and g-c-c--noflatpack on AUR compile fails (Read 564 times) previous topic - next topic

gnome-control-center requires flatpak and g-c-c--noflatpack on AUR compile fails

Hey @Artix users,

I'm trying to get gnome-control-center installed minus flatpak. A recent commit added it as a hard dep. The AUR version starts out well but then dies on network panel test w/ missing .service files.

Are the gnome pkgs in Artix coming from Artix or Arch -- or does anyone have tips to compile g-c-c so checks pass (or can be bypassed?)

-James

Re: gnome-control-center requires flatpak and g-c-c--noflatpack on AUR compile fails

Reply #1
Are you trying to install the pkg from Artix or Arch repo? It's odd to see flatpak is a dependency.

Checked Arch page. It seems that the pkg in Arch repo doesn't require flatpak or it's buried in the dependency chain. (didn't trace down).

https://archlinux.org/packages/extra/x86_64/gnome-control-center/

Re: gnome-control-center requires flatpak and g-c-c--noflatpack on AUR compile fails

Reply #2
Unfortunately, package world/malcontent, which is a dependency of world/gnome-control-center, does include world/flatpak as a dependency.

What can I say... personally, I share the sentiment. But if you want to avoid poetterware/normieware, then stay away from GNOME in the first place. It has gone far away from its roots.

Reply #3
A agree - it would be a very big move at the surface ... although some Gnome contributors work for companies that are pushing Flatpak so maybe not that big.

Ubuntu solved this by making the library separate from the UI where only the UI needs flatpak but the Arch folks don't seem to be bothered.

@strajder : You hit the nail on the head ... but Gnome has such a nice style framework in place. :(

What is the best / most effective way to bring this change to community discussion?

Reply #4
@strajder : You hit the nail on the head ... but Gnome has such a nice style framework in place. :(
See: MATE and similar DEs for something a little bit closer to what GNOME used to be.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MATE_(software)#History
An Argentine user of Arch Linux, named Perberos started the MATE project[8] to fork and continue GNOME 2 in response to the negative reception of GNOME 3, which had replaced its traditional taskbar (GNOME Panel) with GNOME Shell. MATE aims to maintain and continue the latest GNOME 2 code base, frameworks, and core applications.[9][10][11]

Big tech is inevitably pushing towards the fusion of GNOME + systemd + snapd + flatpak + dbus + Rust + ... anyway.

What is the best / most effective way to bring this change to community discussion?
You already did. @Dudemanguy can say more about that particular package.

Reply #5
I reached out to the author of malcontent and his reply was (paraphrase from Issue#50) he chose flatpak b/c his app needs protection from meddling and apparmor wasn't going to cut it. Oh well.

I've started trouble over at Gnome as well,

https://discourse.gnome.org/t/gnome-control-center-brings-flatpak-intentional/9776

I agree with your assessment and I'm also annoyed at required shims like elogind so I'll make some noise (and most likely get some hate from the flatpak/flathub fanboys/girls over there) but we'll see what shakes out. It's irksome that Gnome lets these polarizing and experience limiting projects in with little / no discussion.

In the meantime ... it's time to start shopping for a DE in case.

Reply #6
You can always pacman -Rdd a package if you really want. The gnome-control-center package on arch recently enabled malcontent so that's where that dependency came from.