Skip to main content
Topic: Disaster Recovery mode - The Matrix just dumped its core (Read 1658 times) previous topic - next topic

Disaster Recovery mode - The Matrix just dumped its core

We're sorry -- the Sourceforge site is currently in Disaster Recovery mode, and currently requires the use of javascript to function. Please check back later.
https://sourceforge.net/home.html

With scripts on the same page reads:

The sourceforge.net website is temporarily in static offline mode.
Only a very limited set of project pages are available until the main website returns to service.

Please visit the artix-linux project's files pages if you would like to download a file

Time to look for a phone-booth  :)

Re: Disaster Recovery mode - The Matrix just dumped its core

Reply #1
What is worst is it was off yesterday and now its off again I wonder about tomorrow?

Reply #2
Did this really happen 5 months ago, it seemed like last week.
And that cat, I just saw her pass by going the same direction twice!

Is the matrix susceptible to meltdown and spectre?

Reply #4
A short while ago they switched their download scheme and added additional steps for direct downloading without scripts.  So I would interpret this as being hungry to collect information from users before they put-out their "so called free service".  It must have been during that transition that their servers went down.  People mostly noticed their obnoxious color scheme change while paying little attention to the rain of scripts running behind their lean and colorful pages.

Now gimp is big enough to be able to afford their own servers, many developers and small developing teams don't have this luxury and must rely on their "free" service.  This is why I tend to be specifically cautious and suspicious of their role in the market.  I just wonder when google and their kind will buy such services out and become even tighter in controlling who does what for who.

Reply #5
Renting a server got cheaper as time went by, it's not so prohibitive today. I'm also willing to bet people would be happy to donate torrent bandwidth if the option would be there, but that never got implemented right in the linux world for some reason, it needs to go over a critical user threshold for it to be viable, and in the end maybe the majority of users wouldn't accept it.

I don't generally have problems with sites using JS, but lately it's like you need 32GB of RAM just to read a few websites, it's kind of crazy, even privacy concerns aside.

Reply #6
Reasons why we are so grateful to all those kind people who have donated hardware, mirror space or money to the Artix project and thus we can offer our services for free (and ad-free).

Reply #7
I don't generally have problems with sites using JS, but lately it's like you need 32GB of RAM just to read a few websites, it's kind of crazy, even privacy concerns aside.

Sometimes it takes this much just to read a 3 paragraph bullshit newstory, which has a catchy headline just to lure you in and very little content.  We live in a society that reaches orgasm from visual pleasure.  It is all about the short cheap show, and the next, and everything has lost all value to an image.  Try publishing an intersting view point, an important scientific finding, a hair raising true story in social media - if it is not followed with a catchy headline, a photo or video that would draw attention, nobody will read it.  You put a picture of a dog screwing a squirrel on and it will go viral in a few hours.  Those commercial websites are just a reflection of the shallow shit state society is in.  Like Noam Chomsky has said about the media, they are not feeding us lies, they are feeding us what we like to eat.

And yes, we should be grateful that a small group like artix can swim through all this crap and come out clean.  It is even more important to be grateful to the founders of GNU who promoted the culture where such small exceptions to the rule can exist.  Without it there would probably be no donations, no server or mirrorspace, not even an audience.