Skip to main content
Topic: Need Help With Some Possible Bugs (Read 392 times) previous topic - next topic

Need Help With Some Possible Bugs

Hi there,

I just switched to Aritx XFCE with OpenRC. From the moment I installed this distro, I knew this was it for me. But as much as I love this disro, I am running into quite a what seems like bugs, some of which are making it very difficult to keep running this Artix on my machine.

I am wondering if anyone here is familiar with these problems and can offer me some suggestions. Keep in mind, I am a noob to linux so some of these issues may by me, rather than the distro. I am coming from Xubuntu and didn't seem to have these kinds of problems. I liked that distro, but can't get behind the company any longe. Also please if possible explain things  to me like I am five.

Just for reference, I am running the system on a laptop with 4 gigs of memory if that means anything.

The first problem I am having is with my touchpad. Several times a day, the touchpad will just stop working. Fortunately I found a workaround. I will use the keyboard to switch users then log back in the same account. This usually clears it but it would be nice if this didn't happen to begin with.

The second problem I am having is with the power and screensaver settings. I have turned everything off, but for some reason the session will lock if I let my machine idle for a period of time. I can't seem to change that. Sometimes when I log back in the screen will just go black and I have to restart.

The third issue I am having is the system gets really slow if I try to open more than one or two programs at once. Sometimes it will seem like nothing is happening, and it will take over a minute before the programs start. Keep in mind, most of these programs I am having issues with are appimages.

There are a few more annoyances I have noticed, but I can mostly overlook those. Your suggestions welcomed and appreciated. Thanks.

Re: Need Help With Some Possible Bugs

Reply #1
Hi,
Are the programs opening slowly either large programs or appimages if i understood right? it could be normal, but if it takes abnormally long you should take a look at your memory/cache usage with htop. Those 4 gigs can fill up quickly with stuff like web browsers and some xfce elements like xfwm don't like it.

About the screensaver lock problem, check if you have light-locker (pacman -Qi light-locker) and uninstall it with sudo pacman -R

About the touchpad, try a different kernel version, for instance run sudo pacman -S linux-lts (it should boot by default from it iirc)