Skip to main content
Topic solved
This topic has been marked as solved and requires no further attention.
Topic: [SOLVED] Firefox takes ages to start up (Read 728 times) previous topic - next topic

[SOLVED] Firefox takes ages to start up

Today I've noticed that firefox takes a long time to start up, about 30 seconds.  Same for browsers based on it: librewolf, firedragon, only exception is TOR which launches as normal.
I've completely removed all of them, deleted .mozila folder, restarted, installed firefox, and the problem still happens.  /etc/hosts is correctly configured as per the arch wiki:

127.0.0.1       localhost
::1             localhost
127.0.1.1       mel-artix

Using OpenRC

Thanks for any help

Re: Firefox takes ages to start up

Reply #1
did you start it from a terminal and get the output from it?

Fwiw it doesn't happen on my pc.  Librewolf, Firefox and esr all start in less than a sec on my pc.
Cat Herders of Linux

Reply #2
first thing to check is your resolve.conf
artist

Reply #3
I managed to figure out a solution to the problem, removing xdg-desktop-portal-kde & xdg-desktop-portal.  Only reason I had them installed was because the arch wiki mentioned it as something that could let GTK apps use the Qt file picker but I didn't notice any difference with the apps I use anyway.

Still not sure what actually caused the problem, it was working fine until yesterday.  Though I did install some patch to GTK that adds icon previews to the file picker the day before so maybe that had something to do with it.

Still a bit slower to open than I'd like but thats probably a different issue and its fast enough that I wouldn't have thought about it unless I had this other issue.  So I'll mark this as solved.

Reply #4
Thanks for the tip, 0xfMel. That worked for me too. And it also got rid of an annoying save dialog "feature" that was driving me crazy.