Skip to main content
Topic: Betterbird (soft fork of Thunderbird) now available in omniverse repostory (Read 842 times) previous topic - next topic

Betterbird (soft fork of Thunderbird) now available in omniverse repostory

Betterbird, a soft fork of Thunderbird, is now available in the omniverse repository.

It was built from source on - and for - Artix Linux.

According to its home page:

Betterbird is a fine-tuned version of Mozilla Thunderbird, Thunderbird on steroids, if you will.

Betterbird is better than Thunderbird in three ways: It contains new features exclusive to Betterbird, it contains bug fixes exclusive to Betterbird and it contains fixes that Thunderbird may ship at a later stage. Please refer to this feature table for examples. This should give you an impression of where the project is headed. More information on why we're doing the project can be found at the FAQ.

It is possible to install the same dot release of Thunderbird in parallel and switch between Betterbird and Thunderbird on the same profile without problems and without needing the -allow-downgrade command line switch.

To be able to select an existing profile run command:
Code: [Select]
betterbird -p

The usual advice and disclaimer applies; always make sure to have a recent and valid backup.

artist

Re: Betterbird (soft fork of Thunderbird) now available in omniverse repostory

Reply #1
What's the word? BetterBird!
Cat Herders of Linux

Reply #2
Betterbird is indeed better. I've been using it for a few months now. The only downside it's got at the moment is lack of translations.

Reply #3
Thanks Artist for the awesome software.  You rock!
Cat Herders of Linux

Reply #5
Does anyone know if Betterbird supports global search? I have multiple mailboxes in my Thunderbird environment and it's a pain to sort through all of them to search for that lost email.

I know this isn't the Betterbird forum, but I figured I'd ask my Artix peeps since they don't have a forum.

Reply #6
Does anyone know if Betterbird supports global search?

It supports it. But so does Thunderbird I thought ?
Doesn't work though. I just sent a message containing "zzzvvvbbbmmm" from one account to another.
Searching for "zzzvvvbbbmmm" returned nothing.
I've suspected it's been borked for a while though.
So I just renamed this file "global-messages-db.sqlite" to .bak on advice from a web search.
It was 784 MB of uselessness.
I'll try again once it's rebuilt. Growing as I type.

Edit:
I ended up with a 90% smaller index but the Global search still doesn't work.