Skip to main content
Topic solved
This topic has been marked as solved and requires no further attention.
Topic: Unable to load nvidia drivers on the latest kernel (Read 1168 times) previous topic - next topic

Unable to load nvidia drivers on the latest kernel

kernel:
Code: [Select]
5.18.12-artix1-1

nvidia-smi output:
NVIDIA-SMI has failed because it couldn't communicate with the NVIDIA driver. Make sure that the latest NVIDIA driver is installed and running.

pacman -Q | grep nvidia output:

lib32-nvidia-utils 515.57-1
nvidia 515.57-6
nvidia-settings 515.57-1
nvidia-utils 515.57-1
opencl-nvidia 515.57-1

output of VGA compatible controller:

lspci -k | grep -A 2 -E "(VGA|3D)"
0c:00.0 VGA compatible controller: NVIDIA Corporation GA102 [GeForce RTX 3090] (rev a1)
        Subsystem: eVga.com. Corp. Device 3987
        Kernel modules: nouveau

output of modprobing nvidia:

sudo modprobe nvidia
modprobe: FATAL: Module nvidia not found in directory /lib/modules/5.18.12-artix1-1

So effectively the latest kernel somehow busted my nvidia drivers. I suspect it's also potentially due to the different versions of nvidia and nvidia-utils (arch  extra has not updated this). Any reasonably solution to this problem? I am basically unable to load nvidia drivers because of this. Thanks for any help.

Edit 1

Just noticed the following (if helpful), seems like the modules are indeed in the extramodules folder for the arch kernel, but not "copied or symlinked" over to the artix side? Sorry I'm not too familiar with how this is supposed to work, just posting more details if someone else finds it useful.

archpc:[root]:/lib/modules/5.18.12-arch1-1/extramodules# ls
nvidia-drm.ko.xz  nvidia-modeset.ko.xz  nvidia-uvm.ko.xz
nvidia.ko.xz      nvidia-peermem.ko.xz

archpc:[root]:/lib/modules/5.18.12-artix1-1/extramodules# ls
vboxdrv.ko.xz  vboxnetadp.ko.xz  vboxnetflt.ko.xz

Re: Unable to load nvidia drivers on the latest kernel

Reply #1
I was able to solve this by installing nvidia-dkms and adding the nvidia.hook (as mentioned in the arch wiki). Thankfully, nvidia-dkms is still on 515.57-1 as of today!

Reply #2
is this relevant to you?

Scimmia
Fellow

run depmod, the modprobe the module again.

#92018-08-17 18:04:52
rbiswas143
WorMzy wrote:
The nvidia-beta PKGBUILD will need to be updated to reflect Arch's new kernel configuration. The extramodules directory is no longer versioned, instead it is simply named "extramodules-ARCH".

Thanks a ton!
I reinstalled nvidia-beta again after editing the PKGBUILD to remove versioning from the extramodules directory. Now, everything is magically back on track:

https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=239630
Cat Herders of Linux

Reply #3
looks like we cross posted..  dkms was the other option..  looks  like you thought of it.
Cat Herders of Linux