Skip to main content
Topic: Kernel update broke my computer (Read 860 times) previous topic - next topic

Kernel update broke my computer

Hey guys, the latest update broke my computer. It won't even boot up. This is the first time I've faced such a problem. I tried installing another kernel but it doesn't work either, the linux-lts kernel and the normal linux kernel.

(edit: it "boots" to GRUB, but after that I just get a big wall of text and a blinking _ can't do anything like login )

Re: Kernel update broke my computer

Reply #1
Something broke, and I don't know what. Let me know what relevant logs to dig up for you guys. I'll check back here tomorrow.

Reply #3
Hey guys, the latest update broke my computer. It won't even boot up. This is the first time I've faced such a problem. I tried installing another kernel but it doesn't work either, the linux-lts kernel and the normal linux kernel.

(edit: it "boots" to GRUB, but after that I just get a big wall of text and a blinking _ can't do anything like login )
So you get a kernel panic?

Reply #4
Same here, if you have an ISO you can downgrade back to 5.18.14 with pacman -U.

Reply #8
That's the reason I'm still on 5.12-ck  8)
hmmm, -ck? I feel like I've seen that before. Is that a custom kernel?

I updated today and everything worked out thank god, no kernel panics or anything.

Reply #9
If you have a kernel panic, you know it for sure, because there is a definite inscription "Kernel panic" on the screen.

If your computer doesn't boot with different kernel versions (lts and mainstream), then, maybe it's not kernel update which broke your system. Maybe, it somehow related to initrams or whatever services are in your boot sequence.

Inscriptions on the screen might give you some clues, though.

Reply #10
I am experiencing similar issue - during boot it gets stuck at "Loading user-specified modules" it stays "busy", there are no errors. It first happened when updating from 5.18.10 to 5.18.14. Tried updating to the latest 5.18.16 just now - no luck. Also tried switching to the LTS kernel which didn't work either. Everything works fine when downgrading back to 5.18.10.