Skip to main content
Topic: SOLVED: grub 2:2.06.r297.g0c /usr/bin/grub-probe: warning (Read 1204 times) previous topic - next topic

SOLVED: grub 2:2.06.r297.g0c /usr/bin/grub-probe: warning

After update of grub to 2:2.06.r297.g0c6c1aff2-1 I followed what I thought was the advice from the recent arch problems and see an error related to the root drive ie

Code: [Select]
root@rockykat:/boot/grub
# df -h / /boot
Filesystem      Size  Used Avail Use% Mounted on
/dev/nvme0n1p1  885G  139G  701G  17% /
/dev/nvme0n1p1  885G  139G  701G  17% /
# grub-install --target x86_64-efi --efi-directory=/boot/efi --boot-directory=/boot --bootloader=Artix --recheck
Installing for x86_64-efi platform.
Installation finished. No error reported.

I looked in /etc/grub.d and see an older file there from a previous setup ie [b]/etc/grub.d/60_memtest86+[/b]; perhaps that could cause an issue.
# grub-mkconfig -o /boot/grub/grub.cfg
Generating grub configuration file ...
Found theme: /usr/share/grub/themes/artix/theme.txt
Found linux image: /boot/vmlinuz-linux
Found initrd image: /boot/initramfs-linux.img
Found fallback initrd image(s) in /boot:  initramfs-linux-fallback.img
Warning: os-prober will not be executed to detect other bootable partitions.
Systems on them will not be added to the GRUB boot configuration.
Check GRUB_DISABLE_OS_PROBER documentation entry.
Adding boot menu entry for UEFI Firmware Settings ...
Found memtest86+ image: /boot/memtest86+/memtest.bin
/usr/bin/grub-probe: warning: unknown device type nvme0n1.
done
I checked the /boot/grub/grub.cfg and see that it seems to have produced a correct linux boot  line and was able to reboot OK. Given the recent problems any error message gives one a bit of a shock so it would be good if this message can be fixed.

I do see a possibly outdated file,/etc/grub.d/60_memtest86+,  from an earlier grub install; perhaps that causes this message.

EDIT: The /etc/grub.d/60_memtest86+ file belonged to a package memtest86+ 5.31b-1 which I think is inherited from the original install (probably artix-xfce-runit). If I remove that package and rerun the above commands the error/warning disappears.