Skip to main content
Topic: Looking for webcam suggestions (Read 625 times) previous topic - next topic

Looking for webcam suggestions

I'm currently running Artix on an old Macbook and having trouble getting the webcam to work. I'm pretty sure it's the drivers, which are reverse engineered, not-Apple-approved and available in the AUR. After much trial & error, I'm throwing in the towel...

So, I'd like to ask the community what experience you have with webcams and Artix? Which ones work right out of the box, which ones are a pain in the butt, etc?

If you have any recommendations I'd really appreciate it! 8)

Re: Looking for webcam suggestions

Reply #1
Recently got Logitech C270. Works out of the box on Artix
ARMtix

Reply #2
I would imagine pretty much any USB camera should work, since they usually just use a standard interface to communicate over USB, the Logitech C920 has been the go to of many people for quite a while, although it's quite a bit more expensive than it used to be.

The other alternative, if you don't necessarily have or want to spend the money to buy a webcam is to use something like Droidcam or IPWebcam which let you turn your phone into a webcam (you will need something to mount the phone on though).

Reply #3
Recently got a Logitech Brio (slightly on the expensive side but works really well as long as you have decent lighting). It did work out of the box, just make sure to connect it on a USB 3.0+ supported port.

Reply #4

The other alternative, if you don't necessarily have or want to spend the money to buy a webcam is to use something like Droidcam or IPWebcam which let you turn your phone into a webcam (you will need something to mount the phone on though).

This is the best idea, the cam is only on if you use it hence the cam-lifespan is longer, saver is only on when you need, avoid consuming unnecessary energy and with whatsup, telegram & co. on Linux-Desktop you can chat over a keyboard.

Reply #5
I'm currently running Artix on an old Macbook and having trouble getting the webcam to work. I'm pretty sure it's the drivers, which are reverse engineered, not-Apple-approved and available in the AUR. After much trial & error, I'm throwing in the towel...

So, I'd like to ask the community what experience you have with webcams and Artix? Which ones work right out of the box, which ones are a pain in the butt, etc?

If you have any recommendations I'd really appreciate it! 8)

Interesting - I just picked up a  camera with mic for about 12 dollars from wallmart that worked :)

Bus 001 Device 004: ID 1b3f:1167 Generalplus Technology Inc. GENERAL WEBCAM

https://linux-hardware.org/index.php?id=usb:1b3f-2247

Bus 001 Device 002: ID 046d:c52b Logitech, Inc. Unifying Receiver