Skip to main content
Topic: Browser problems (Read 739 times) previous topic - next topic

Browser problems

Just run the latest Cinnamon live USB version on a modern Dell laptop with 16 GB.

First time with around tens tabs open, the browser crashed and disappeared.

Day later, tried to open https://www.esure.com/my-account/auth/login

but the page wouldn't display and asked me to press a reload button, which repeatedly failed to work.

Not great first impressions of Artix.

Re: Browser problems

Reply #1
That page opens correctly in Firefox and ungoogled-chromium on my machine, in Opera it tells me the browser is not supported, though it does open the login page.

That particular website suggests firefox, chrome or internet explorer(!) are 'supported browsers', so I suggest your problem may lie less with Artix and more with the limited browser support of that website.

Reply #2
Crashes are often hardware specific and graphics support related, different distros will be using different versions. As well as alternative browsers, you could try different kernels - ie performance variants and lts, different drivers if available, disabling hw acceleration in the browser and / or desktop, that kind of thing, see what works in your case. The isos are kind of a snapshot of a moment in Artix, as a rolling distro if you had it installed already you might be currently holding some package at an older version to avoid the issue. Thanks for taking the time to try it out and report on it btw!  :D

Reply #3
That page opens correctly in Firefox and ungoogled-chromium on my machine, in Opera it tells me the browser is not supported, though it does open the login page.

That particular website suggests firefox, chrome or internet explorer(!) are 'supported browsers', so I suggest your problem may lie less with Artix and more with the limited browser support of that website.

I'm using the default browser on the live USB image. The "help about" screen just shows Web 42.3, whatever that means.
If you're saying Firefox and Chrome  can cope with it, the Artix browser should be capable.  Otherwise, maybe the default browser should be one of those two, rather than a stripped down version.

The esure page just reports :
"Oops!  Something went wrong while displaying this page. Please reload or visit a different page to continue." And a a Reload button, which just repeats the same message when pressed.

Reply #4
Crashes are often hardware specific and graphics support related, different distros will be using different versions. As well as alternative browsers, you could try different kernels - ie performance variants and lts, different drivers if available, disabling hw acceleration in the browser and / or desktop, that kind of thing, see what works in your case. The isos are kind of a snapshot of a moment in Artix, as a rolling distro if you had it installed already you might be currently holding some package at an older version to avoid the issue. Thanks for taking the time to try it out and report on it btw!  :D

I accept the gist of your argument but I'm using the live USB version, so that should be stable out of the box.
Updating drivers or toggling HW acceleration isn't really feasible in this instance.

The PC is non-nvidia, 8265u CPU with 16 GB RAM.  Not had any problems with several other distros live USB including Mint, Arcolinux, Solus, Neptune and several others.

One other issue worth mentioning is the slow boot up time  under the live USB, it takes around 60s to get to a usable desktop, which considering its claim to fame is that it is systemd-free and therefore probably faster, is ironic. The fastest I've found to date is Solus which is ready in about 15s.

Reply #5
I'm sure the devs behind the isos do test to ensure stability before release, but they can't try on every hardware option or test every website. At any moment in time there are numerous open bugs on the kernel, browsers etc, and if you hit the wrong combination of software version and hw it won't work for you. If you want to get a live Artix usb running at present then I suppose your best bet might be to try some of the different current variants, or an older version of cinnamon. There are possibilities to make your own custom iso copied from your regular installation if you had one. Some distros do place emphasis on creating an optimized bootable USB with persistent storage and so on, in Artix the focus seems more on using it as a traditional installer and rescue / utility tool, although not limited to that if you wish of course, and feedback in that respect could eventually help advance that usage case of course. Details of your hw improve the chances of someone fixing it if they read this - searching the CPU it suggests a Dell 3400, 3500, 5400, 3580, something along those lines anyway I guess. There was an old Artix Mate iso I had on a usb, mostly used to partition drives with Gparted, it did a checksum test every boot which took several minutes, the newer version I downloaded this summer skipped that and was much faster so it seemed quick to me!  ;D

Reply #6
One other issue worth mentioning is the slow boot up time  under the live USB, it takes around 60s to get to a usable desktop, which considering its claim to fame is that it is systemd-free and therefore probably faster, is ironic. The fastest I've found to date is Solus which is ready in about 15s.

USB's are always slow.  My Core i3 laptop of ~7 years boots Artix in about 20 seconds to a tty login.  ~60 seconds sounds about right to move the ISO file to memory and unpack it.

There's no guarantee that lack of systemd makes this distro faster.  "Simple. Fast. Systemd-free." says the front page.  You might gain a few seconds in boot time, maybe.

Reply #7
its worth remembering this is not a complete ootb .iso, as per the download page (the important bit: "This is still a bare-bones installation")

"Graphical installation images come with a slightly preconfigured desktop system (LXQt, LXDE, MATE, Cinnamon, KDE/Plasma, XFCE) and a rudimentary set of applications: a file manager, media player (mpv), network manager, document viewer, web browser and the calamares installer. People afraid of the Linux terminal or in need of a quick, intuitive installation would want this ISO. This is still a bare-bones installation and a lot of additional software is required for a satisfactory experience. "

Basically, it takes the grunt work out of installing from base on which to build a fabulously fast/stable system.  Been using cin dinit for 10 months straight and yes, you don't get everything you need (eg. bluetooth speaker?...going have to add a package to get it working etc), and you also don't get a load of stuff you don't need.  I was surprised it came with a browser and i assumed it came with  falkon as a just in case you need to reference the web for guidance etc, -  that's how i saw it, before promptly installing firefox anyway, 'cause falkon has always had a wobble or two with certain sites i use irrespective of the base i put it on (falkon is not developed by artix or cinnamon devs, its third party)  The likes of Mint are great because its all there from the get go.  But, and this is the sting, you also get an inefficient ubuntu base etc and more packages than you'll probably ever need. 

So, in a nutshell, its worth sticking with and learning on the way, it is a step up from mint, solus and most of the arco .iso's, because at least for most of those, they're complete (ish). 

btw: from cold on an i5 8th gen., with 8Gb (and nvme ssd), as long as i type the password fast enough, on a fully configured install (bluetooth/firewalld etc), its less than 7 seconds to a usable desktop here (Cin with dinit)