Skip to main content
Topic: Any Grub Problems? (Read 562 times) previous topic - next topic

Any Grub Problems?

Hi all,
I hope you are all doing great.
It has been sometime I haven't been here. I was just distrohopping.

I believe you know about the Grub issue that happened a few days ago.

How is it going with you here? Any issues? Any solutions? Alternatives?

Thanks a lot for your feed back.
System:  Kernel: 6.4.10-artix1-1 , KDE Plasma 5.27.7, HP Spectre x360 Convertible 13-ae0xx
Dual Core  i7-8550U bits: 64
8 GB Ram - SSD:  (250 GiB), BTRFS

Re: Any Grub Problems?

Reply #1
Hi all,
I hope you are all doing great.
It has been sometime I haven't been here. I was just distrohopping.

How is it going with you here? Any issues? Any solutions? Alternatives?

Thanks a lot for your feed back.
If you have an older grub, just follow the instructions that come with the update.

Other than that if you download a new ISO, you most probably won't have a problem.

Reply #2
If and when the grub package is installed, there will be a terminal message during the update that tells you that you may need to run grub-install ... and grub-mkconfig ... for your configuration. 

I'd recommend to watch the upgrade messages.  It'd also be good to have an ISO USB image ready to live boot should grub introduce another feature and you neglect to run both commands.

The Arch grub package is pulling from the main branch of the Grub dev team, so features are likely to trickle in and this situation of several weeks ago might come back.

System reboots to BIOS due to `/etc/grub.d/30_uefi-firmware`.

Reply #3

I don't know about it, can you please explain it or link to a description?

I got the following issue with the update to system/grub version 2:2.06.r322.gd9b4638c5-4:

It comes with a file /etc/grub.d/30_uefi-firmware. This file places into the /boot/grub/grub.cfg the following content:
Code: [Select]
fwsetup --is-supported
if [ "$grub_platform" = "efi" -a "$?" = 0 ]; then
menuentry 'UEFI Firmware Settings' $menuentry_id_option 'uefi-firmware' {
fwsetup
}
fi

Whenever GRUB loads it's configuration file and it executes the fwsetup --is-supported, the system (GPD MicroPC) immediately reboots to the BIOS settings (I found this out by adding an informative echo statement before each line in the grub.cfg followed by a 2 seconds sleep, and then I saw at which point the system justs reboots). 
Since the fwsetup --is-supported is executed unconditionally loading GRUB results in booting to the BIOS settings, without the possibility to get to the GRUB menu or command line.

A workaround for me is to comment out this line, but whenever the grub configuration file gets updated by operating system automagic this line is there again.

Since /etc/grub.d/30_uefi-firmware is provided by the Artix grub package, I think it is advisable for the maintainers to change that file.

I have modified the offending entry as follows as a temporary workaround:

### 2022-09-28: GPD MicroPC immediately reboots to EFI BIOS settings when 'fwsetup --is-supported' is executed. So we have commented it out.
# fwsetup --is-supported
# if [ "$grub_platform" = "efi" -a "$?" = 0 ]; then
menuentry 'UEFI Firmware Settings' $menuentry_id_option 'uefi-firmware' {
fwsetup
}
# fi

[Solved] System reboots to BIOS due to `/etc/grub.d/30_uefi-firmware`.

Reply #4
Whenever GRUB loads it's configuration file and it executes the fwsetup --is-supported, the system (GPD MicroPC) immediately reboots to the BIOS settings

Solved by installing the new GRUB EFI image which came with the new grub version to /boot/efi/artix/grubx64.efi and /boot/efi/boot/bootx64.efi:
grub-install --target=x86_64-efi --efi-directory=/boot --recheck /dev/sda
grub-install --target=x86_64-efi --efi-directory=/boot --recheck --bootloader-id=boot /dev/sda
That new image does handle the --is-supported option in fwsetup --is-supported to not reboot.

Reply #5
Solved by installing the new GRUB EFI image which came with the new grub version to /boot/efi/artix/grubx64.efi and /boot/efi/boot/bootx64.efi:
grub-install --target=x86_64-efi --efi-directory=/boot --recheck /dev/sda
grub-install --target=x86_64-efi --efi-directory=/boot --recheck --bootloader-id=boot /dev/sda
That new image does handle the --is-supported option in fwsetup --is-supported to not reboot.

Old replay, but in UEFI system you don't need to pass disk (NOTE at the end of section, link)