Skip to main content
Topic: Random kernel hangs (Read 494 times) previous topic - next topic

Random kernel hangs

Since mid-September I experience some kernel hangs from which I can only recover by rebooting the machine (SysRq+b worked fine, and yes I enabled SysRq just to know if it was a total hang).

For those who don't know me, I run Artix + OpenRC on an AMD X570 system equipped with a Ryzen 3800XT, 32GB of 3200 MHz RAM, and a Radeon RX 6900XT as GPU. Everything is properly powered by an 850W PSU by EVGA (Seasonic, really).

Load testing in other OSes (non-Linux) doesn't reproduce any kind of hangs, so I am kind of at a loss here.

My last kernel log, or rather, what was saved by Syslog-ng:
https://paste.artixlinux.org/a097de98

Does anyone have a clue of why that might be?

Re: Random kernel hangs

Reply #1
If I had to make a non-expert guess, from seeing the "tainted" modules, this issue might be related to the proprietary Radeon GPU drivers causing problems?

I would recommend try blacklisting the proprietary modules from loading to see if the problem still persists.

Also is Artix the only distro you've seen this problem on?

Reply #2
Where did you see the proprietary Radeon drivers? I run on Mesa.

The only "proprietary" stuff that is there is for Workstation Pro, which I am actually not even using actively nowadays. Other stuff is just out-of-tree kernel modules that I need to monitor stuff, such as zenpower3 (cpu temp / power draw) and v4l2loopback (obs virtual camera).

Lastly, I don't distro hop. I don't know, currently, if not using Artix works around the problem, and I don't want to try. Running Artix for two years now, I got all my stuff in there.

Reply #3
Running Artix for two years now, I got all my stuff in there.
I would try the other 3 kernels.
"Wer alles kann, macht nichts richtig"

Artix USE="runit openrc slim openbox lxde gtk2 qt4 qt5 qt6 conky
-gtk3 -gtk4 -adwaita{cursors,themes,icons} -gnome3 -kde -plasma -wayland "

Reply #4
>Where did you see the proprietary Radeon drivers? I run on Mesa.

My guess was based on the "amdgpu" module, although I apologize since I was assuming these modules were proprietary when in fact they were open-source

>Other stuff is just out-of-tree kernel modules that I need to monitor stuff, such as zenpower3 (cpu temp / power draw) and v4l2loopback (obs virtual camera).

Well that explains the "tainted" status, although can I ask on why they are out of tree? were they not included with the kernel you installed?

Reply #5
I would try the other 3 kernels.

Which other kernels? There's only linux and linux-lts that come officially in the system repos, and I experience hangs on both of them. Everything else (hardened and zen) come from the world repository, and I guess they won't help much here.

Well that explains the "tainted" status, although can I ask on why they are out of tree? were they not included with the kernel you installed?

Exactly. They are not included in the kernel I installed.

Reply #6
Which other kernels? There's only linux and linux-lts that come officially in the system repos, and I experience hangs on both of them.

I use the linux-zen kernel on laptops, and it works well. It is in the official repos.