Skip to main content
Topic solved
This topic has been marked as solved and requires no further attention.
Topic: Liferea can't spwan properly, webkit2gtk CVE's the cause? (Read 292 times) previous topic - next topic

Liferea can't spwan properly, webkit2gtk CVE's the cause?

Hello guys!! I'm facing issues with liferea starting around 23 October. When launching liferea it shows up only an empty square instead of its UI. Took all dependencies to see what the cause may be and after a week i come to the conclusion is webkit2gtk fault that was upgraded around 23 October. That package has been found lately with couple of exploits of unknown severity.

The problem with liferea i think it occurs when use couple of kernel parameters specifically lockdown=confidentiality. So my idea is that the latest webkit2gtk package has issues trying to stick its nose where it shouldn't so when launching liferea, webkit2gtk gets nuked by that kernel hardening setting (lockdown=confidentiality).

Also my syslog-ng service fails to start. Reinstalled relevant packages but still liferea can't show up properly  :o

What can be the cause? Now logic would be to disable that lockdown=confidentiality but what if it's rather bad idea having in mind those  nasty CVE's recently discovered around webkit2gtk? Tnx in advance.

Re: Liferea can't spwan properly, webkit2gtk CVE's the cause?

Reply #1
Think i'll downgrade webkit2gtk to a previous version and see if that will make any difference. Thing is i don't know if artix has some older packages archive for  webkit2gtk 2.38.0. I'll try webkit2gtk from main arch hope i will not nuke more from my system with that step.

I'll come back to update if i find anything.

Edit: well tried to use arch webkit2gtk but that needs some other pack libsystemd that has nothing to do with artix. guess i'm out of luck till any tip might show up.

Cheers!

Reply #2
There's an archive for Artix: http://archive.artixlinux.org/

Reply #3
 Ow thank you. Nice to see artix has an archive  too :)  huge thumb up. I will try and see if that fixes liferea problem.

Reply #4
Fixed it. The problem was i had gnome-keyring installed from arch not artix and threw errors from bellow. It seems that i've played inside pacman.conf and forgot i had only arch repos enabled at that very moment  :-[

"Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/lib/liferea/plugins/gnome-keyring.py", line 52, in do_query
    coll = self.get_collection()
  File "/usr/lib/liferea/plugins/gnome-keyring.py", line 41, in get_collection
    service = Secret.Service.get_sync(Secret.ServiceFlags.LOAD_COLLECTIONS, None)
gi.repository.GLib.GError: g-io-error-quark: Error calling StartServiceByName for org.freedesktop.secrets: Timeout was reached (24)"

Tnx for help  :D  Everything works fine now

Reply #5
Also fixed syslog-ng. I was missing a dependency package called net-snmp which it says is optional but it's rather mandatory i would say cos syslog-ng it's not working without it.