Skip to main content
Topic: Cinnamon Desktop Environment (Read 370 times) previous topic - next topic

Cinnamon Desktop Environment

With my computer connected to directly to an ethernet cable it makes zero sense that I can't uninstall networkmanager, networkmanager-applet and the dinit service.

Crazy that Cinnamon DE has networkmanager-applet as a dependency - - -> It should be optional
I'm using dhcp for internet connection.

Hate extra unneeded software bloat

Re: Cinnamon Desktop Environment

Reply #1
That dependency comes upstream from Arch. But something tells me it can/should be optional...

You could file a bug report for cinnamon. Cite that it's optional for other DE's.

Reply #2
A very similar thread a while ago led to me finding out I also had NM installed as a dependency even though I don't use it.

https://forum.artixlinux.org/index.php/topic,4647.msg29812.html#msg29812 describes how to make a dummy package to satisfy the dependency and prevent the rest of NM being dragged in.
Bug report would still be good idea but in the meantime...........

Reply #3
A very similar thread a while ago led to me finding out I also had NM installed as a dependency even though I don't use it.

https://forum.artixlinux.org/index.php/topic,4647.msg29812.html#msg29812 describes how to make a dummy package to satisfy the dependency and prevent the rest of NM being

Hello gripped
You gave me an idea . . .
Yes I just uninstalled [networkmanager] using
yay --nodeps --nodeps -Rcns networkmanager
This leaves network-manager-applet still installed, satisfying the Cinnamon desktop requirement.
Allows me to login into Cinnamon fine.
And I've disabled network-manager-applet service.

Thank you

Reply #4
The problem afaik is if you uninstall a package forcefully it will just be added back in an update where it gets pulled back in as a dependency. You should watch out for that, or of course use the real solution which is a dummy package, as described above