Skip to main content
Topic: Steam & Proton is amazing. (Read 1102 times) previous topic - next topic

Steam & Proton is amazing.

I recently built a new pc and it came with a code for a free game.  Unfortunately it wasn't just a steam code but it was through ubisoft's "Ubisoft Connect" software.  I quickly realized that it has no linux version, but through a little trial and error (tried Lutris but it wouldn't work for me) I came to the conclusion that Steam is just amazing.

So I downloaded the Ubisoft Connect installer .exe and added it to steam as a "non-steam game" and ran it under GEProton-8-27 which I installed with the protonup-git utility that I grabbed off the aur.  I also installed the arch-gaming-meta package but I'm not sure if any of what that included was terribly useful or necessary.  Still it's in there.

So Ubisoft Connect installed and then I added as a "non-steam game" the Ubisoft Connect .exe which was contained in the "~/.steam/steam/steamapps/compatdata/" folder (steam will create a directory in there for each game/program that is set to run in proton, in each directory is a "pfx" directory which basically contains a wine prefix (most likely why it's called "pfx").  So Ubisoft Connect was in there under Program Files and I added it and again ran it under GEProton-8-27.

Bingo.  Success.  Installed my free game, played it for 30 minutes, realized it sucks.  But... I also realized that 10 years ago I bought Anno 2070 so I played a bit of that as well ;P

Also... the same method works for Battle.net and it will at least run Starcraft II although I'm not a WoW player so not sure if it works for that too.

So basically Steam & Proton beats Lutris in my opinion.  It's just so easy.

Re: Steam & Proton is amazing.

Reply #1
If only Proton will one day support Easyanticheat :D (i know there are linux native games with it like WT)

But yeah they put in some special modifications that are weird to explain while what Lutris does by default is execute a rebuilt wine with a custom prefix with dxvk in it.

I respect Valve a lot. Without them both pc games and the linux graphics stacks would absolutely suck.

Re: Steam & Proton is amazing.

Reply #2
The Finals just started working on Linux this last week. It's not native and uses EAC. Sadly still up to developers to enable support, meaning it's on a game-by-game basis.

areweanticheatyet.com