Skip to main content
Topic: grub-install: error: will not proceed with blockllists (Read 360 times) previous topic - next topic

grub-install: error: will not proceed with blockllists

Hello, i
grub-install --target=i386-pc /dev/vda
while bein in chroot in my Virtual machine in Artix. For whatever reason my VM is legacy, anyways, in the picture is the output and my lsblk.
https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=225407
here I heard that its probably something with the partitions and the type of the boot partition i suppose? i didnt understand everything very well, and they did the installation differently, also because its Arch and not artix.
Pls halp, thank you :)

Re: grub-install: error: will not proceed with blockllists

Reply #1
If you are going to use the BIOS method of installing grub then you should format the virtual machine's partition table as a MBR/BIOS partition table.
Once the BIOS partition table has been created install the whole OS again and run the grub BIOS install again and it should work.

GPT partition tables require UEFI booting with the EFI System Partition (ESP) and the corresponding EFI grub install method. If the ESP exists in the virtual machine then installing using the EFI method would work but only if the virtual machine is able to boot using UEFI. It all depends on the host and how the virtual machine is configured.

For more information please check out Arch Grub wiki entry.

Reply #2
If you are going to use the BIOS method of installing grub then you should format the virtual machine's partition table as a MBR/BIOS partition table.
Once the BIOS partition table has been created install the whole OS again and run the grub BIOS install again and it should work.

GPT partition tables require UEFI booting with the EFI System Partition (ESP) and the corresponding EFI grub install method. If the ESP exists in the virtual machine then installing using the EFI method would work but only if the virtual machine is able to boot using UEFI. It all depends on the host and how the virtual machine is configured.

thank you very much. Ill try it

Reply #3

what does it mean to create and MBR/BIOS partition table. when im at cfdisk, i see label types: gpt,dos,sgi and sun.
where do I set partition tables.

Reply #4
dos would be the 'legacy' type which has an MBR as part of it's partition table.