Skip to main content
Topic solved
This topic has been marked as solved and requires no further attention.
Topic: System go in lock with kernel higher than 5.15 (Read 452 times) previous topic - next topic

System go in lock with kernel higher than 5.15

Hi, its a strange situation, that I'm not able to understand cause there is nothing in the log, and simply, after some minutes, the system is completely locked , if I use a kernel more recent than the 5.15.xx (I can only power off with the power button).
I tried also to reinstall on a new HD (external nvm connected via USB 3.x), but nothing change also with a new installation.
I used the weekly version and all is fine and perfect... if I install the 5.15 kernel (the LTS).

This is my notebook:

$ inxi -F -v
CPU: quad core AMD Ryzen 3 4300U with Radeon Graphics (-MCP-)
speed/min/max: 2147/1400/2700 MHz Kernel: 5.15.90-1-lts x86_64 Up: 1h 15m
Mem: 3017.7/15365.2 MiB (19.6%) Storage: 1.36 TiB (22.6% used) Procs: 276
Shell: Bash inxi: 3.3.24
frank@aura:~
$ inxi -F
System:
  Host: aura Kernel: 5.15.90-1-lts arch: x86_64 bits: 64 Desktop: KDE Plasma
    v: 5.26.5 Distro: Artix Linux
Machine:
  Type: Laptop System: TUXEDO product: TUXEDO Aura 15 Gen1 v: N/A
    serial: <superuser required>
  Mobo: TUXEDO s model: AURA1501 serial: <superuser required> UEFI: INSYDE
    v: 1.07.03RTR2 date: 11/13/2020
Battery:
  ID-1: BAT0 charge: 42.9 Wh (100.0%) condition: 42.9/48.3 Wh (88.8%)
CPU:
  Info: quad core model: AMD Ryzen 3 4300U with Radeon Graphics bits: 64
    type: MCP cache: L2: 2 MiB
  Speed (MHz): avg: 1788 min/max: 1400/2700 cores: 1: 1590 2: 1933 3: 2121
    4: 1509
Graphics:
  Device-1: AMD Renoir driver: amdgpu v: kernel
  Device-2: Acer BisonCam NB Pro type: USB driver: uvcvideo
  Display: x11 server: X.Org v: 21.1.6 with: Xwayland v: 22.1.7 driver: X:
    loaded: amdgpu unloaded: modesetting,vesa dri: radeonsi gpu: amdgpu
    resolution: 1: 1920x1080~75Hz 2: 1920x1080~60Hz
  API: OpenGL v: 4.6 Mesa 22.3.3 renderer: AMD Radeon Graphics (renoir LLVM
    15.0.6 DRM 3.42 5.15.90-1-lts)
Audio:
  Device-1: AMD Renoir Radeon High Definition Audio driver: snd_hda_intel
  Device-2: AMD ACP/ACP3X/ACP6x Audio Coprocessor driver: N/A
  Device-3: AMD Family 17h/19h HD Audio driver: snd_hda_intel
  Sound API: ALSA v: k5.15.90-1-lts running: yes
  Sound Server-1: PulseAudio v: 16.1 running: yes
Network:
  Device-1: Realtek RTL8111/8168/8411 PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet
    driver: r8169
  IF: eth0 state: down mac: 80:fa:5b:8c:5b:a9
  Device-2: Intel Wi-Fi 6 AX200 driver: iwlwifi
  IF: wlan0 state: up mac: 7e:a7:52:87:0d:09
  IF-ID-1: tun0 state: unknown speed: 10 Mbps duplex: full mac: N/A
Bluetooth:
  Device-1: Intel AX200 Bluetooth type: USB driver: btusb
  Report: rfkill ID: hci0 state: up address: see --recommends
Drives:
  Local Storage: total: 1.36 TiB used: 316.11 GiB (22.6%)
  ID-1: /dev/nvme0n1 vendor: Kingston model: SA2000M8500G size: 465.76 GiB
  ID-2: /dev/sda type: USB vendor: Realtek model: RTL9210 NVME
    size: 931.51 GiB
Partition:
  ID-1: / size: 465.51 GiB used: 316.11 GiB (67.9%) fs: btrfs dev: /dev/dm-0
  ID-2: /boot/efi size: 252 MiB used: 682 KiB (0.3%) fs: vfat
    dev: /dev/nvme0n1p1
  ID-3: /home size: 465.51 GiB used: 316.11 GiB (67.9%) fs: btrfs
    dev: /dev/dm-0
Swap:
  Alert: No swap data was found.
Sensors:
  System Temperatures: cpu: 35.0 C mobo: N/A gpu: amdgpu temp: 32.0 C
  Fan Speeds (RPM): N/A
Info:
  Processes: 275 Uptime: 1h 15m Memory: 15.01 GiB used: 2.95 GiB (19.7%)
  Shell: Bash inxi: 3.3.24

I'm installing Plasma with openrc, as I use from a lot of time.

Somebody have some ideas? Thank you!

Re: System go in lock with kernel higher than 5.15

Reply #1
It is just a guess but the one thing that requires manual intervention with latest kernels over the "LTS" kernel is the requirement for laptop backlight options to be appended to the kernel option line of one's bootloader.

The kernel parameters:
Code: [Select]
acpi_backlight=video
acpi_backlight=vendor
acpi_backlight=native
One of these three options may do the trick.

Reply #2
jspaces, are you talking about to add these parameters to the grub.cfg?

Reply #3
@jspaces  no one of that parameters work: the system, with kernel newer than 5.15 go in lock. I reinstalled all from the ground on a new disk, just to eliminate any other questions and nothing change. :'(

Reply #4
Hi, its a strange situation, that I'm not able to understand cause there is nothing in the log,
Could you post the kernel log please. Clear it first. Then boot, wait for crash, boot back in and get the log. Post it all.

If you have another system, local or vps, running 24/7 setting up remote logging may show some information which is lost when the system crashes. How you go about it depends on what provides logging on both the local and remote system but there's plenty of tutorials if you do try this. My only experience of this was from rsyslog -> syslog-ng and it was past trivial but by no means really hard to set up.

Other than that you could try getting a list of modules your running kernel is using then experimenting with blacklisting them one by one (or in groups where related). Obviously you'll lose functionality and may even end up with a non-booting system but so long as you know how to chroot in or similar you can revert the changes.
This might help narrow down what is causing the issue?

Reply #5
no one of that parameters work: the system
Sorry it was just a shot in the dark without any information on the specifics of your setup.

Reply #6
@jspaces: thanks' for your info, I know that its a black hole; today I investigated and I discover that its a problem also of other users, but I wasn't able to find a solution. I'll continue to investigate some days and after I'll open a bug with the kernel people. What happen is really very strange: something is changed into the kernel!

Reply #7
@gripped : tomorrow I'll try to send a kernel log before and after, but I think that nothing is registered, all is in lock, no way to do nothing TTY1, sysreq... nothing :-) but I'll do, maybe an idea. I cannot connect another PC remotely, I think that the engineering, working in my office, wont be so happy if I reinstall one of their Autocad workstation to investigate my bug ahahahah I risk to finish in a concrete wall ahahahahah

Reply #8
I think that the engineering, working in my office, wont be so happy if I reinstall one of their Autocad workstation to investigate my bug ahahahah I risk to finish in a concrete wall ahahahahah
I got a good laugh.  :)
I remember earlier Autodesk licences being nasty to deal with when things go south with their liking of putting stuff into the so-called empty spaces of MBR partition tables.

Reply #9
You could try turning off graphics hardware acceleration things, in the desktop, in your browser if you are using one while the problem happens, and even try booting with nomodeset on the commandline to see if it is graphics related, as that's a common cause of lockups, which might help narrow down the cause slightly.

Reply #10
I'm almost sure that all is solved and, simply, upgrading the BIOS Firmware. Yesterday I compiled a checklist of all the possible component able to create a similar problem and... nobody of them, in my opinion, was significant. At the end of the list there was also the bios upgrade; I was sure that some months ago I applied the upgrade, but it was for another notebook and not for this one. Done and all is working perfectly (till now...)  ;D
The only thing that I can tell is that Tuxedo, together with the bios upgrade, always available on the web site, can do 2 important things:
1) to advice the user that there is a bios upgrade available; might be with a mail?
2) to compile a Readme.txt or something similar, to explain what the bios upgrading is implementing.

Regards and thank you for your support.