Skip to main content
Topic: Move a community package installation into other location (Read 453 times) previous topic - next topic

Move a community package installation into other location

How to move a/some community or even galaxy/extra package installation into  other location/partition of OS' ?

Re: Move a community package installation into other location

Reply #1
You would have to customize the package's PKGBUILD in question to change the installation paths, build then install the custom package with the changed locations for the files. The method of changing  the install path is dependant on the specific package's source code.
A local repository listed first in the pacman.conf would be a good way to ensure your custom package will be used first by default.

Reply #2
anyone please send to pacman(dev.) forum to ask its feature request to have user;s option in determining the installation location ?

Reply #3
Pacman looks after the maintenance of applications.
Pacman only places the packages contents where the package states the locations are.
The requested feature wish is something that pacman can never deliver.

When one builds the package with makepkg that is when the application file's locations are determined.
Moving stuff after it is linked will be a source of frustration as stuff will not function as they should if at all.

One could build static libraries and applications which are truly portable and will work in any location.
This maybe the solution you are seeking if it is only one or a couple of packages.

Reply #4
how doing of real on community one; Opera

Reply #5
Opera is not really an open source project and does not provide the source code for custom compiles.
From what I can see the site only provides compiled blobs in RPM, DEB or Snap formats.
If the complete structure of the blob is intact, you could place somewhere else.
For example I moved the whole functional structure to another location in /opt:
Code: [Select]
# mv /usr/lib/opera /opt
Then I was able to start "opera" from there running:
Code: [Select]
$ cd /opt/opera
$ ./opera

The "PATH" for your user should reflect the new location for the ease of use. The desktop file would need to be modified to reflect the new path. I did leave the "/usr/share/{applications,docs,icons,licenses,mime,pixmaps} in their original locations in this test.

A package reflecting the desired new location would be possible under those limiting conditions.

Reply #6
There is something in the AUR to help with this, actually there are 3 variants, customizepkg-git is the one I'd probably recommend, although some aspects of it's operation are a bit unfinished, it will do the job required:
customizepkg-git
customizepkg-scripting
customizepkg-patching

If you then use an AUR helper capable of rebuilding binary packages and compatible with customizepkg, ie Yaourtix or Pakku, then having set this up, it will automatically rebuild packages to your specification whenever an update is required.

To locate a browser where you wish, in most cases you can download the browser as a prebuilt zipped archive from the official website and install it where you wish. Usually there is an update notification to tell you when you should download a newer version which you can do manually. For just updating a browser now and again, this is quite an easy  and simple method.

Some files related to browsers, e.g. profile directory and cache, can often be placed somewhere else by altering the browser settings in it's internal configuration menus.