Skip to main content
Topic: Latest version breaks laptop closure (Read 391 times) previous topic - next topic

Latest version breaks laptop closure

Not sure what happened but after my recent update, I can't close my laptop properly. 2014 Macbook. When I open the laptop again, the screen shows black with the mouse on screen, but the mouse won't move. Only solution is to hard restart. How would I go about diagnosing this?

Re: Latest version breaks laptop closure

Reply #1
How would I go about diagnosing this?
Unfortunately with great difficulty. Suspend - resume problems are very difficult to debug. At least I've never had much joy.

One solution would be to downgrade the kernel to one that worked and set add linux and linux-headers to ignore in /etc/pacman.conf

Periodically you could upgrade again and see if it's been fixed. (Make sure to keep copies of your working kernel packages)

And search more generally for your laptop model and the issue to see if others are reporting it and potential fixes etc.

Reply #2
* How long did you wait for pc after opening the lid. ever waited about 5 min?

* the default behavior for closing the lid is sleep. If you didn't changed it, try  to put laptop in sleep and turn on after manually.
Code: [Select]
# loginctl suspend -i 
expectedly the result should be the same. if so i guess some kernel parameters might help. or something else.

* can you change tty with "Ctrl+Alt+F2'"

Reply #3
* How long did you wait for pc after opening the lid. ever waited about 5 min?

* the default behavior for closing the lid is sleep. If you didn't changed it, try  to put laptop in sleep and turn on after manually.
Code: [Select]
# loginctl suspend -i 
expectedly the result should be the same. if so i guess some kernel parameters might help. or something else.

* can you change tty with "Ctrl+Alt+F2'"
I tried waiting five minutes, issue persists. I tried loginctl suspend -i and the same issue happened as well.
Thank you both for the replies. I will wait and see if some random kernal update will fix this, while digging into other user's issues. Unfortunately all the forum posts I can see on this are from 8-10 years ago since that's how old thi slaptop is. Maybe time to get a thinkpad!

Reply #4
not the exact same problem, but i had a similar issue. It may lead you somewhere.
there was a  workaround, and no one yet presented a better solution.
  Keyboard not working after resume with kernel 4.10.5

* give output of "dmesg" during the occurrence of problem