Skip to main content
Topic: Re: [SOLVED] Repositories (Read 387 times) previous topic - next topic - Topic derived from [SOLVED] Repositories

Re: [SOLVED] Repositories

when i try to install "yay" using "sudo pacman -S yay", it says that it isn't found, and when i search yay with "yay yay", it shows that it is in "aur" and not in community.

i just instaleld Manjaro, and I could install yay with "sudo pacman -S yay", and with "yay yay" i find that it is in "community".

i don't fully understand why this difference, and i'm kinda annoyed with how Artix manages the package manager, which you can't even use correctly in a fresh install (etc.). but I guess there's a reason behind this differences.

I don't know how to read about this, because i don't know why it happens. and no, the wiki won't explain this correctly.

TL;DR: why is yay and some other packages in different repositories in Artix (in comparasion to Manjaro)?
.........  1. sudo pacman -Sy --needed git base-devel    2. git clone https://aur.archlinux.org/yay-bin.git  3. cd yay-bin  4. makepkg -si

Manjaro != Artix. Yay is AUR helper. AUR might be unsupported officially. Repos.

Reply #1
why is yay and some other packages in different repositories in Artix (in comparasion to Manjaro)?

I think because Manjaro is not Artix, they may have different policies of which packages to include where.

Since AUR is unsupported officially, it is an understandable decision to not provide AUR helpers in any official repository at all.

But you can find prebuilt yay in some unofficial repositories, for example alerque, andontie-aur, arch4edu, bioarchlinux, built (currently older version), chaotic-aur, linuxrepos.

Regards!