Skip to main content
Topic solved
This topic has been marked as solved and requires no further attention.
Topic: [TRACKER] Runit support (Read 14354 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: [TRACKER] Runit support

Reply #75
I am not worked up, because luckily I have another system to work with.  If this was my only system and it was down for a week I would be.
The question does not pertain to networkmanager as networkmanager has been removed for a long time, I have mentioned it 3 times and it is nowhere in the output, why bring it up.

Following the steps, even with a bad runit-artix in the repository which was unfortunate, I installed all the *-runit pkgs that replaced the -openrc packages.  Then linked them to run/runit as it is desrcibed.  Why did I get those errors and how come they go away when I use sv restart?  Is using restart a way that runit redefines where things are and discovers directories that are there but it thought as missing?  Because I sure didn''t change anything else for it to find dbus, even though dbus-daemon was started as soon as X went up. I could see it on conky without even starting a terminal.

Since in actual working on the system it seems functional, despite of what @Dudemanguy says about being broken, I may have too many services up, which may be a ram problem, I don't have the expertise to say what is needed and what not.  I'd say based on this experience there is a whole section in the wiki that is missing.

Maybe there is a whole other chapter for that matter and I only did this once.  Since there may be a runit.iso coming up, how does one go from runit to openrc?  In the same fashion there should be a little more analysis that fits every system, to switch init systems without altering the rest of the system further.  What services exactly are under openrc handling that should translate to active runit services.  Obviously having a runscript pkg installed does not mean it is a necessary idling service that is needed to be active on boot. 

Reply #76
ATTENTION TO ALL RUNIT USERS:

See announcement

Since this thread has served its purpose, I'm going to close this thread by the time runit-artix-20180414-9 lands in [system].
now only the dinit guy in artix

Reply #77
Before we close this thread, turns out there is two more important announcements following feedback from both devs and users alike.

Note: All of the following only happened in [gremlins].

1. runit and runit-artix have been combined into a single package: runit.
2. elogind-runit and dbus-runit have been updated.

Before you upgrade elogind-runit, dbus-runit, and runit, please make sure to do the following (if and only if you're in [gremlins]).

Do the following commands (if and only if you activated the services)

Code: [Select]
# rm /run/runit/service/elogind
# rm /run/runit/service/dbus

If you're using Xorg, it will close. This is normal. Proceed into tty (tty2-6).

After that you can do an upgrade to elogind-runit, dbus-runit and the runit package itself as normal.

It may take a while to for the mirrors to reach our main repo to fetch the packages (dbus-runit-20180429-2, elogind-runit-20180429-2, runit-2.1.2-5) so please be patient.

Also, I won't be available until this Friday for personal reasons. I'm sorry for my unavailability but if there's any issue I'll fix it after Friday.

Reply #78
This thread is now locked since it has served its purpose. Any new announcements in runit systems will be posted in a new thread.