Skip to main content
Topic: New install of community qt needed fixing out of the box.  (Read 371 times) previous topic - next topic

New install of community qt needed fixing out of the box.

I'm new to Artix, and Arch distros in general, I'm more familiar with Debian based distros, Devuan being the one I've just switched from. I did a new ISO install of artix-community-qt-openrc-20230405-x86_64.iso yesterday, and I didn't install anything new, just played around with settings.

I found that the Plasma power manger was missing about half the settings - specially the Button Event Handling that I was looking for to control Laptop lid shutting settings. In LXQt the equivalents were there and functional, and acpid was showing the events of the laptop lid and power button being pressed, but in plasma there was no response. I checked the version of powerdevil to see if it was out of date, and I was surprised to see that it was instead powerdevil-light installed.

I then went digging to find out what differences powerdevil-light had to powerdevil, and found the package has been removed from AUR and I can't find the source code anywhere, or any documentation., just the request to remove it from AUR. I installed powerdevil instead (removing powerdevil-light of course) and that fixed everything.

I'm writing this up to provide context in anyone else has a similar issue. This package appears to be deprecated and unmaintained/abandoned. Can the package be removed from relevant ISOs and repositories?

Re: New install of community qt needed fixing out of the box.

Reply #1
At first I thought "That's a shame" about powerdevil-light!
I just found out it was requested for deletion because
  • "It broke the rules". Though the request doesn't state which rule(s)
  • "It is obsolete since the last update"

I know I was using it because powerdevil depended on networkmanager-qt, which in turn depended on networkmanager. And ditto for bluez-qt.
Since this update to powerdevil networkmanager-qt and bluez-qt have been changed to makedepends & optdepends so powerdevil-light is indeed obsolete.
It's nice to see Arch addressing dependency spaghetti   :)

If powerdevil-light is on the iso I agree that should be addressed in future editions.