Skip to main content
Topic solved
This topic has been marked as solved and requires no further attention.
Topic: [SOLVED] Firefox mistake (Read 500 times) previous topic - next topic

[SOLVED] Firefox mistake

Made a mistake. Thought arch version of ff can't be very different from Artix version. Well looks like it's a big difference. Arch ff makes a lot of noise high cpu and throws bunch of things to the terminal while exits. So I've downgraded to the good old Artix version but now asked me to create a new profile. So rolled back to the arch version waiting for the newer Artix ff. Anyone knows why so huge difference from Arch ff vs Artix ff? And second question, when our own ff will hit the repos cos I've looked to the  Artix gitea and didn't see much activity there either atm :o

Saw a bunch of security fixes so I guess would be nice if we land to the newer version the sooner the better.

Thanks

Re: Firefox mistake

Reply #1
Code: [Select]
MOZ_ALLOW_DOWNGRADE=1 firefox
May allow you to use your profile. Back it up first.

Reply #3
If the Arch version of Firefox is different then possibly some of it's dependencies are on different versions in Arch too, so if you don't switch those to Arch packages it could cause version mismatch problems - but those dependencies may also relate to yet other packages on your system, so it might not be practical to switch them. If you want non standard versions and reliable operation you can manually install the official Linux Firefox prebuilt unpackaged download from Mozilla at any version you want (although it might not run if you get an ancient 10 year old one or something) because it's built differently to the packaged versions with included libraries, and it doesn't have much in the way of system dependencies but should work just the same.

Reply #4

@####### Yeah I know that version of ff from the ff website but I think the version specially compiled for Artix it's my best bet of a good ff.

@gripped Cool tweak that one I think it may allow me to downgrade. Think they've changed some important things under the hood since profile itself is altered

@nous nope, no community ISO in here just the official. I'm curious when/what changes were gonna find in Artix ff. Read they made plenty of changes the Mozilla folks

Reply #5
The newer version is working fine for me in Arch, nothing unusual on the command line  when I checked this forum and YT, just some vaapi complaints and a libcubeb one too. Some of the Arch deps aren't in repos accessible from Artix, upgrading those isn't an (easy) option. It will get here soon I expect, I use the Artix build of Firefox too, it's probably the best choice for most purposes. If you really wanted to get ahead of everyone, you can find firefox-beta-bin and firefox-nightly-bin in the AUR,  giving pre-release builds of  versions 113 and 114 respectively!  :D  Those are mainly intended for people wanting to help with testing and report bugs, you are more likely to encounter real Firefox issues there, possibly even security related ones , so I should make clear that's not exactly a serious suggestion, but you can if you are very keen to try the latest features, and it might work better than your previous method. ;D

Reply #6

Tnx, I've looked on gitea and saw the new Artix ff version just hit the repos, I guess now is cooking (compiling)  :D

Has a lot of deletions which I guess is good (6 changed files with 10 additions and 37938 deletions) That's a notable change that's for sure. 

Reply #7

Today after updating to firefox 113 when I close ff it stopped sending to the prompt those huge amounts of errors for 15 of seconds, now sends only few and closes nicely so I mark this topic as solved