Skip to main content
Topic solved
This topic has been marked as solved and requires no further attention.
Topic: [SOLVED] after recent update sddm gets stuck crashing (Read 519 times) previous topic - next topic

[SOLVED] after recent update sddm gets stuck crashing

I have updated my system today and a couple hours later restarted it and now I am in some kind of loop where artix tries to start sddm-helper which keeps crashing with code 15 after the crash the screen flashes multiple times and then shows the crash message again. I can't switch to another tty because for some reason it switches me back to this one when it crashes.
What could cause this and how do I fix it?

Re: after recent update sddm gets stuck crashing

Reply #1
If you have any ssh server running it would be good, otherwise you need to boot an installation medium, and run artix-chroot . on the root of your systen disk.
From there grab any logs you can, from /var/log and xsession/sddm.
Then try two things:
-Downgrade sddm to previous version (new major version appeared recently)
-Install package libprocps (sometimes is needed after major propcs-ng update)

Re: after recent update sddm gets stuck crashing

Reply #2
If you have any ssh server running it would be good, otherwise you need to boot an installation medium, and run artix-chroot . on the root of your systen disk.
From there grab any logs you can, from /var/log and xsession/sddm.
Then try two things:
-Downgrade sddm to previous version (new major version appeared recently)
-Install package libprocps (sometimes is needed after major propcs-ng update)

This worked, I used the downgrade script from the aur to downgrade sddm I also installed libprocps, thank you

Re: [SOLVED] after recent update sddm gets stuck crashing

Reply #3
One thing to try would be to look at /etc/sddm.conf and comment out DisplayServer=wayland

The new release of sddm broke my wayland setup completely, and it had the same symptoms you experienced.

I'm going to try downgrading it next though.

Re: [SOLVED] after recent update sddm gets stuck crashing

Reply #4
https://github.com/sddm/sddm/issues/1768

Seems to be this issue, I'm also using fish as my shell so it makes sense...

Oops, this was for another related issue I'm having with wayland and sddm, not the tty one.