Skip to main content
Topic: Autologin with runit (agetty) from a tty gives dmesg warnings about elogind (Read 354 times) previous topic - next topic

Autologin with runit (agetty) from a tty gives dmesg warnings about elogind

Hi, I've recently decided to try out enabling some autologin functionality in my Artix system, basically following the instructions from this thread in the forums
The autologging works fine, but right after loggin dmesg spits out some warnings:
Code: [Select]
[ 7069.830435] elogind[4723]: elogind is already running as PID 1132
This doesn't seem to cause any issues, and I might not even have noticed since I usually use the "quiet" kernel parameter which hides these warnings from taking over your tty.
I found this reddit thread on the Artix subreddit which details the same problem and the solution for the user seemed to be disabling elogind as a service by with:
Code: [Select]
# touch /run/runit/service/elogind/down
since dbus apparently already starts elogind when needed, acordding to this following reddit thread on the Void Linux subreddit, but I personally am not a fan of messing with that.
This isn't a huge issue as long as I'm certain it doesn't affect elogind functionality, but even then, I wonder if there's a better way of getting autologin from a tty without getting those dmesg warnings.