Skip to main content
Topic: Artix-pipewire-launcher missing (Read 1088 times) previous topic - next topic

Artix-pipewire-launcher missing

Latest update to pipewire removed shell script for automated starting and restarting pipewire + wireplumber. Could be added back to package or pasted here on forum to add it locally?

Re: Artix-pipewire-launcher missing

Reply #4
Is there any difference between this Artix-pipewire-launcher and such a straightforward one as described in Wiki?

https://wiki.artixlinux.org/Site/PipewireInsteadPulseaudio
Yep about 60 lines

I used to write my simple script in accordance with Wiki. I see that Artix guys have made it more advanced, so I’m going to pick it up.

Thanks.

Reply #5
Both /usr/bin/artix-pipewire-launcher and /usr/share/applications/pipewire.desktop are missing in the new pipewire 1.0.4 package.
It seems they were removed in this commit which also introduced some systemd post install hooks that are not useful on artix, so I think the pkgbuild needs to be fixed either way

Reply #6
Sorry for the bump,
The pipewire package got an update yesterday (1:1.0.4-2), but artix-pipewire-launcher and pipewire.desktop are still not present.
Can this be fixed?

Reply #7
Hi I was installing to a new machine today and it seems the files artix-pipewire-launcher and pipewire.desktop are still not present within the pipewire package.

They are listed in the git repo but do not apply when installing, so ive had to download these from the git repo and put them in the correct locations. Am i missing something or is this a package error?

https://gitea.artixlinux.org/packages/pipewire

Reply #8
It's been told a few times that the preferred way of starting pipewire is and has always been through the startup script of WM/xorg/desktop env./etc.
Why was the script removed? Officially because it had problems, unofficially because the user services are almost ready and pipewire*-dinit has shipped for a good while, working fine.

Reply #9
It's been told a few times that the preferred way of starting pipewire is and has always been through the startup script of WM/xorg/desktop env./etc.
Why was the script removed? Officially because it had problems, unofficially because the user services are almost ready and pipewire*-dinit has shipped for a good while, working fine.

Okay thanks. So other pipewire init services like pipewire-openrc are being worked on but not ready yet?

Reply #10
This guy made this hacky fix for openrc, seems well intended, probably works: https://forum.artixlinux.org/index.php/topic,6461.0.html
Eventually there will be more backends for turnstile (or even some other methods) to cover all inits, but i think openrc has least priority. s6 is coming soon afaik.