Skip to main content
Topic: Multi-user with Pipewire and Steam library (Read 73 times) previous topic - next topic

Multi-user with Pipewire and Steam library

I use wireplumber+pipewire+pipewire-pulse and start it with a script run by bash_profile.

I created a new user for someone else to use and had to setup the script autostart for that user.
My user couldn't also have it running simultaneously or else the device was unavailable to the guest user.
This works fine and could be better, but I don't know how.
I'm guessing that ideally, my own user would "unlock" the audio device when I choose the "switch user" option, and that this setup could've been automatic for user accounts.

On another note, we were both really impressed how everything was isolated between users and installed programs could be used but were all isolated in their user-specific data. I kept my user logged in to host a server while my friend used the second user for gaming when I left my house. The caveat is that each user has a completely separate Steam instance, such that there can be multiple copies of the same game in each user's instances.
I believe this could be worked around if the game install directory was in a shared location instead of in the home and I'm curious if someone else has tried this.