Skip to main content
Topic: Remove proverbs & sentence from CLI (motd) (Read 388 times) previous topic - next topic

Remove proverbs & sentence from CLI (motd)

The texts of this "feature" in 'community-Qt' installation become bigger and longer and I don't want it anymore

Searching in the INet found command `printenv` as user, lead the output to a file.txt and attached below.
Code: [Select]
printenv >> ~/Documents/printenv.txt

The only thing I don't know in the output is `MOTD_SHOWN=pam`, further "investigations" lead me to this page and this page.

An installed package "motd" (message of the day) was not found but a locale search give me a `pam_motd.so` and a `sag-pam_motd.html` with a ton of copies in `/timeshift/snapshots/`. The PAM (Pluggable Authentication Modules) is a security-module and MOTD is implemented in.

Following Files was found on the system:
Code: [Select]
file:///usr/lib/security/pam_motd.so
file:///usr/lib/security/pam_motd.so
file:///usr/lib32/security/pam_motd.so
file:///usr/share/doc/Linux-PAM/sag-pam_motd.html
file:///usr/share/man/man5/motd.5.gz
file:///usr/share/man/man8/pam_motd.8.gz

Please tell me how to disable forever `motd`, purge it from system and disable future installation &| upgrades.

Thanks in advance and best regards.

Re: Remove proverbs & sentence from CLI (motd)

Reply #1
If you want to clean up the CLI environment and remove proverbs or unnecessary text from the MOTD (Message of the Day), consider editing the `/etc/motd` file or the scripts generating it. This helps create a more streamlined login experience, focusing only on essential system information.

Re: Remove proverbs & sentence from CLI (motd)

Reply #2
I think the OP isn't talking about /etc/motd but about fortune(1). Go to /etc/bash/bashrc.d/local.bashrc last lines and either comment out fortune or append '-s', which forces it to only print short cookies.